Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted index.dat keeps returning

• Please log in to reply

bincka

bincka

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, I I have been trying to figure out what is wrong wiht my PC (XP SP2, cable modem) for two months. I've posted many times, gotten a lot of advice, none worked.
I have spent hours going over other posts in desperation, and found something that worked. It finally brought my computer back from sub-dialup speed.

Deleting the index.dat files. But, I can't get rid of them completely. I have a set of files named
IE5 index.dat, and they seem to be the central corruption.

When I do delete the files, between the 3 accounts on my computer, I am always left with 2 or 3, and as soon as they multiply, my computer is screwed again.

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
index.dat is one of the options with CCleaner, you want the slim build here

http://www.ccleaner....oad/builds.aspx

Check it is not set to clean old prefetch data or hotfix uninstallers

If you use the issues tab, run the scan, fix selected issues but always take the back up option, naming them by date and keeping them in a folder you create, is as good a way as any of finding them, in the (unlikely) event you need to restore from a back up

bincka

bincka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I used CCleaner already. I even went through every Temp and history file in all the user files through Docs and Settings, and specified that Ccleaner is to empty those files. I tried Spybot shredder.
I have gone to a dozen websites.

What happens is that I can go through and delete all 5-10 index.dat files in all Docs and settings/users/ , but cannot delete them from my own user name files, as it is in use.

I then start up my browser, and it is smoking fast again! Wonderful, as I've been at dial-up speed for two months now, and have spent hours and hours and hours trying to fix it. My wife is about to divorce me! ha ha.

Within a minute, it slows right back down. I then log into a different admin. account to try and delete the index.dat files that were left over in my account. (they are in user name/cookies, and Docs settings/user name/local settings/history/historyIE5) Lo and behold, the new account I've logged into, which was clean,
now contains index.dat in it's own cookies and history folders.

It just keeps resetting into any account I log into. I cannot delete it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE I am desperate. I have gotten so much good help from GTGo, but nothing has worked out of the many many posts I've posted. I have been on the phone with tech support, read hundreds of forum entries, I've even repaired XP and IE6 twice. I've run diagnostics on my drivers and hardware.
I've tried everything.

I am still going to post my Hijack file in Malware forum..... I've done so three times, but have never been helped. I don't submit to 3 day old post because in the meantime, I have tried so many things, it is not accurate anymore. I will post Hijack, and not do a thing to my computer until someone reviews it for me.

THANKS KEITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!