Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp to xp pro

• Please log in to reply

cidrul1

cidrul1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer -compaq 2700t - is running very slow and takes minutes to boot, close down or start a new program. Tried "clean boot" from ms knowledge base, no help- but had to reinstall systemworks. Scared the [bleep] out of me as there are zillions of password in it. but it is back to its old slow running ways.
Was interested in whether installing xp pro would clean up the "missing components" msg, and improve performance? If so are there any special ways to do this without killing any existing programs or functionality?
Even IT from large universities haven't been able to help.

so PLEASE help.
thx
cidrul1
P.S. have tried reqistry cleaners, disk defrag,and every other trick I can think of. need new ideas.

Edited by cidrul1, 28 February 2007 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
XP Pro won't really be any faster than the version you have, it even has more stuff loaded so it may be slower. One thing to do is go to the hard drive maker's website or the Compaq website and download diagnostic software and check the drive. That is a very frequently overlooked reason for slowdowns and easily checked.

Other things:

Clean out prefetch.

Remove any unused programs and files.

After you've done eveything else, there are other things you can do too, as a final step defragment the drive.

Edited by Tyger, 28 February 2007 - 05:18 PM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Cleaning out the prefetch is not recommended and is unlikely to speed up your PC -- quite the opposite in fact as the prefetch is designed to speed up the starting of programs.

Certainly a defrag is a good idea, I second that.

You may want to have your system checked for malware which is often the cause of a slow down. Check the "pinned" posts on the following forum before posting a HijackThis log to it (HijackThis logs should not be posted anywhere else):
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
If you've done your regular spyware/virus scans and have found nothing, run a defrag. Check to see what is set to run "a program" when windows starts. Usually the easiest way to solve slow boot is to use the windows MSCONFIG utility that can take charge of what loads when windows starts. If you have done everything you can and no succes, Your computer is possibly suffering from the annoyance of a computer running Windows that over time has become obsolete and may need to be reformatted and clean windows installation for things to work better for your.

I was going to post a smiley face on here but my clickable smily faces aren't work, "cries"

Good luck :whistling:

Edited by techie4fun, 01 March 2007 - 03:44 PM.