Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium D 915 (P) 2.8 Ghz or Athlon64X2 4600 2.4 Ghz

• Please log in to reply

obsessed

obsessed

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I need a better desktop, I do heavy video editing using Pinnacle Studio 10 (actually I am using Studio 9 because I need the more powerful computer to use Studio 10) and I found these 2 in my price range, but each has desirable features that the other doesn't have.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE WHAT THE BETTER VALUE/CONFIGURATION IS!

I am shopping for a new desktop and found these 2 similar ones both for around $1100 at 2 different stores and was wondering if someone could help me decide which is a better deal for the price for working with Studio 10? Both are HP Pavilion Media center TV Desktop Packages, one is # a1657c and the other is # m7670n. Other than the differences in hard drive size (which is easy to upgrade) and one has 2 DVD drives (it's easy to get another), of the things that are more difficult to change, like the processor: Is it better to have: Base processor
PentiumD 915 (P) DC 2.8 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775 with integrated graphics and I would need to get another graphics card;
or: Base processor
Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4600+ 2.4 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2 and this one has dedicated graphics
GeForce 7500LE
256 MB DDR memory
I/O Ports: DVI, S-Video, VGA

Full specs here:
http://h10025.www1.h...c...deUrl=true
and the other one here:
http://h10025.www1.h...n...132&lang=en

I chose these 2 because I don't want Vista yet and found a good deal in my price range, and I don't want to build my own machine from the ground up but am willing to put in a little extra on whatever machine I do get. Thanks for any help analyzing this, I am getting confused.

Advertisements

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

I need a better desktop, I do heavy video editing using Pinnacle Studio 10 (actually I am using Studio 9 because I need the more powerful computer to use Studio 10) and I found these 2 in my price range, but each has desirable features that the other doesn't have.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE WHAT THE BETTER VALUE/CONFIGURATION IS!

I am shopping for a new desktop and found these 2 similar ones both for around $1100 at 2 different stores and was wondering if someone could help me decide which is a better deal for the price for working with Studio 10? Both are HP Pavilion Media center TV Desktop Packages, one is # a1657c and the other is # m7670n. Other than the differences in hard drive size (which is easy to upgrade) and one has 2 DVD drives (it's easy to get another), of the things that are more difficult to change, like the processor: Is it better to have: Base processor
PentiumD 915 (P) DC 2.8 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775 with integrated graphics and I would need to get another graphics card;
or: Base processor
Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4600+ 2.4 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2 and this one has dedicated graphics
GeForce 7500LE
256 MB DDR memory
I/O Ports: DVI, S-Video, VGA

Full specs here:
http://h10025.www1.h...c...deUrl=true
and the other one here:
http://h10025.www1.h...n...132&lang=en

I chose these 2 because I don't want Vista yet and found a good deal in my price range, and I don't want to build my own machine from the ground up but am willing to put in a little extra on whatever machine I do get. Thanks for any help analyzing this, I am getting confused.

Out of those 2 choices the AMD IMO would be the best bet and more curent up to date.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards.

Short of building my own (which I really don't have time or patience to do), do you think overall this is a decent out-of-the-box deal for around $1100 including flat screen monitor?