Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Port 135 & ICMP Ping open on Mcafee Firewall 6

• Please log in to reply

mangoesbananas

mangoesbananas

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm using XP Home, Service Pack 2, no multiple users, IE browser version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

I have McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, version 6.0.6014.

Even though I have the program configured to NOT accept ICMP ping requests and to block port 135, when I go to Symantec's online Security Check, or to the online ShieldsUp check, the results occasionally show that my ICMP Ping port and port 135 are open. The only way to fix it at that point is to reboot. After rebooting, the online checks show both ports are blocked. However, the fix doesn't last long, because at any random point later in the day, the ports open again.

McAfee Chat support told me to run their Setup Assistant and reboot, which I did. The ports were then successfully blocked....until they suddenly became unblocked again later for no apparent reason!

Is there a fix for this?

I use WinXP Home SP2 with all the latest security updates. I also have McAfee SecurityCenter and McAfee VirusScan 9.0.10

Many thanks!

Advertisements