Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DR WATSON POSTMORTEM DEBUGGER

• Please log in to reply

kguy84

kguy84

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, I'm having the same problem as others. When I clicked on .avi file..

This message will pop out "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It followed by the message regarding Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger. When pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL.. i can see drwtsn32.exe running. How should I deal with this matter?

Well, I've looked through some topics posted regarding this matter in this forum. I won't dare solve the problem by myself according to the advices available in other topics as different computer might have different settings n ways to deal with it. Thus, I await your professional advice to deal with my case.

Here is my HijackThis log file

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it happens only with one particular avi file, it may be corrupted or a 'rogue' file downloaded via a file-sharing service. If that's the case, just delete it.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One problem that early XP had concerned .avi files. It was programmed to show .avi thumbnails but .avi isn't just one type of file, it covers many types so this caused explorer a great deal of trouble. A later update to XP removed the thumbnail option for .avi files but this can also be done manually. One thing you might try is disabling thumbnails in one folder and go into Folder Options and set Classic Windows View which will disable the thumbnail sidebar. If that eliminates the problem that may be enough but you can also find info on the web that will help you change your registry and you can then enable thumbnail view for other types of files again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit ENTER.
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
Fenor

kguy84

kguy84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If it happens only with one particular avi file, it may be corrupted or a 'rogue' file downloaded via a file-sharing service. If that's the case, just delete it.

It happens to all my .avi file. When click on it.. the problem mentioned above will occur. What should I do?
What a fast reply! Thanks.. Hope to hear from you very soon

kguy84

kguy84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:

• Go to START-->RUN and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit ENTER.
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
Fenor

Hi, I wonder who should I reply to.. there are 2 staff helping out.. thanks so much. Anyway, I've done according to your instruction.

The Windows Explorer and Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger did not appear this time. But, the .avi file still could not be opened. [This is what happen when I tried to open the file using Windows Media Player]

Here is the message:
Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That's because WMP does not have the appropriate codecs to play the avi file. I suggest you download VLC Media Player. It doesn't need any codecs since it has it's own built in.

Fenor

kguy84

kguy84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ya, I tried open using VLC Media Player. The problem does not occur.
Hmm.. why is this happening? Before this, all my .avi file can be opened using any kind of player.

If the problem with the codec, why all my .avi file works perfectly before this.

Now, I can't even convert my .avi file using any software for exp. Ultra Video Converter. The problem still persist. The below message will appear.

Ultra Video Converter has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the reply again..

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Unfortunately this happens a lot with windows, as you acquire more codecs to play more kinds of files you eventually have a codec conflict of some kind. You may need to uninstall some codecs to get the machine to work properly and install different ones. I've had to do that on this very machine and other machines too.