Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive recognization

• Please log in to reply

Justin_Kenny

Justin_Kenny

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had two hard drives, C and F. C drive was the one XP was installed onto. F drive was used strictly to back up files. The C crashed. Bought a new hard drive to take its place and have successfully re-installed XP onto the new drive.

I had disconnected the F drive during the re-install process to eliminate any chance of erasing the material on it. I have now reconnected the F drive using the SLAVE cable, but the computer will still not recognize it. Been tinkering around in device manager a bit, but have not had any luck getting the F drive to show up in My Computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Firstly, make sure the connections are connected properly internally. Make sure the cable connecting the two hard drives are set in position properly, that is the first port connects to the F drive and the end port(Master) connects to the C drive, as to boot the computer from the C drive. Then once this is done, start your computer, pressing the Del key upon boot up. There will be a screen in your BIOS which shows all drives, storage and optical, that are connected. Verify that both drives are present there. If not, please respond for further assistance.

Justin_Kenny

Justin_Kenny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Connections internally are good. Upon start up the Delete key does not prompt the BIOS screen to come up. I have tried F1-F12 as well. F8 brings up the option for me to boot in SAFE MODE, but haven't been able to get to the BIOS screen.

If this means anything, the Device Manager under Disk Drives does show two hard drives are present. They appear as follows:

WDC WD800BB-55JKCO
WDC WD800JB-00JJCO

The Device Status for each drive says "The Device is working properly."

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
That is strange. In general, hard drives do not 'need' drivers, hence why hard drives are detected upon first boot.
Click on the following:
Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Storage
Disk Management(local)

Do the drives show up here?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something not yet mentioned is that your previous version of XP may have "owned" the files in the second drive and you may have to retake ownership of them.

Edited by Tyger, 01 March 2007 - 08:18 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you may have to reassign a drive letter to it. to do so go in the disk manager and right click on the drive and change the lettering