Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS error

• Please log in to reply

wilzn2

wilzn2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Using Internet Explorer and Outlook Express

I receive a daily spam quarantine summary from my local ISP. Recently, whenever I try to click on any of the links for the messages that are in this quarantine, I get "This page cannot be displayed" Internet Explorer page, showing a DNS error at the bottom.

The summary also has a direct link to my quarantine using the ISP's spam provider, but I cannot even access my quarantined messages that way --- same message.

So obviously, my computer is having an issue with this particular DNS.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Is there any shareware/freeware out there?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you called your ISP yet....if their DNS servers (which are the DNS servers you're using) are having issues getting to THEIR equipment/services....well then they've got a problem...

it sounds like this is the only site that you're having the issue with...correct?

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, I have checked with my ISP. They can access the spam quarantine in question from the spam quarantine website. I cannot.

I cannot access it either through the e-mail summary they send me nor from the URL for the spam quarantine website, where I should be able to access it.

This is the only one I am having trouble with.

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i love ISPs...they have no idea how their own technology works....they can access it because A: it's not the server's fault (i.e. it's not broken) B: they're probably using a different DNS server....eejits...

you need to ask them if they can A: tell you how to change the DNS server listing in your modem or B: see if they can do it themselves..

a DNS server SOMEWHERE in the chain is not acting right

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Actually, I am having trouble with one other website ---- it is doing the same thing. So I am not sure it is my ISP.

I tried using System Restore and going back to a previous date. No luck.

I tried the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP to check my settings and it gave me this error:

Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on your computer......

Any ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you just recently install a firewall? or an antivirus sollution like Norton internet security or something like that? maybe a new router?

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No, nothing has changed. Nothing has been added.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
see...that's why i'm inclined to think it's on their end...if nothing changed on your side...then it's likely to be their DNS server...well...at least barring any malware....but one would assume (we all know about assumptions though) that it would affect more than a couple of sites if that were the case....you could try to power cycle your modem...

turn off (unplug your modem), turn off your router (if you have one), and turn off any PC's connected to it....wait about 5 minutes....plug the modem back in and wait for it to come up (depending on the modem...it could take 5 min or so....wait for all the lights to come on and stabalize)...then turn on your router if you have one (again...wait for all the lights to come on and stabalize) then turn on your PC...then try again

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I will try what you recommended when I have a chance.

In the meantime, I have been trying to figure it out on my own, too. If I go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services,

I can look at all of the different processes that are supposed to be working.

"Remote Access Auto Configuration Manager" is disabled. This says something about controlling how the computer communicates with remote DNS servers. Does this have anything to do with my problem?

This is so frustrating. It is only occurring with 2 websites, no others.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

"Remote Access Auto Configuration Manager" is disabled. This says something about controlling how the computer communicates with remote DNS servers. Does this have anything to do with my problem?

that would be a no....your computer itself actually isn't connecting to an outside DNS server....your computer is using either your modem or your router (whichever it's connected directly to) as it's DNS server...then your modem or router is using the ISP dsns servers...

*Basic DNS lesson*
all computer communications are controlled by IP addresses (the 4 sets of numbers seperated by dots). well...people have a hard time remembering ip addresses (imagine having to type in 64.233.161.99 to get to google every time) so we use DNS (Domain Name Service or something to that effect). DNS allows an IP address to be translated to more user friendly names (like www.google.com). so how do you keep this mass of information in one place? well..you don't...you keep it in ALOT of places...

so what happens when you type www.google.com into your webbrowser? your computer checks it's HOSTS file to see if there's a static listing for www.google.com, when it sees that there's nothing there it checks it's DNS settings and forwards the request on to it's selected DNS server (your router) your router doesn't retain any DNS information (unless it does caching..but..forget that) so it asks it's DNS server (your modem)...the modem again doesn't store any dns info so it asks IT's DNS server (your ISP's DNS server)...now...your ISPs DNS server MIGHT know the answer...if it does...it sends the info back and your computer connects to www.google.com ....if the ISP dns server has no idea what www.google.com translates to...then it asks another DNS server higher in the chain...and so on and so on and so on untill you either find the ip for the requested site...or untill there's a failure in the communication chain..

what COULD be happening in your situation is that your ISP's DNS server doesn't know the IP for the site you're requesting...so it's sending out a request up the chain to another DNS server that might know the address...but there's a problem in that link between DNS servers (i.e. router problems between the servers, network outages, alien invasions etc..)...so it can't get a reply to it's request..so neither can you...this is what i THINK is happening...but i could be wrong

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK. here's another idea....

I've been reading that sometimes firewalls can cause these kinds of errors.

If I go to Control Panel/Network and Internet Connections/Windows Firewall settings/Advanced, I find that I have the Windows Firewall turned off (bcs I have Norton Antivirus), but that under Advanced Settings, it says that the firewall is enabled for my 1394 connection and Local Area Connection. When I select Settings for either of these, then choose Services, none of the choices are checked. Should they be?

I know I'm grasping at straws. The only two websites I have trouble with are my ISP spam blocker and our local state park website. If it helps, both seemed to quick working at about the same time, but I have changed NOTHING on my computer.

Could it be spyware?

I will try resetting my modem/etc. later today.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try turning off the windows firewall completely and see what happens...you might also need to add the two sites into norton's firewall...though...still no idea why the sudden refusal of these two sites

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I played around with Norton, and when I logged in as the Administrator, I got to the Spam Firewall website!!!

However, I still cannot access the other website that I was having trouble with.