Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Correct Web Information, etc.

• Please log in to reply

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am volunteering to redo my work's website due to the fact that it is now extremely embarassing how it is now! LOL

Once I get all the "stuff" I want on our new webpage (university website) I then submit it to our web master people on campus and they put it on the web.

Question: Is there some sort of code or other information I should know about that is considered "okay" with putting a website on the web? I do not know how to word this correctly but am trying to convey the question on if what we put on the web is considered okay. (ie. probably cannot use any animation, flash animations, etc.)

I have made sure not to use anyone's photos or artwork. I took all the pictures myself and used some of the MS word clip too.

I also want to know what I can do to make it easier for our web person who will be uploading all the information I will send to him (I was told to create the website on MS word). Should I create all the hyperlinks or let him do it?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wow, I can tell you have not been in the military! You volunteered! :whistling:

You didn't say what standards you will be following, whether you will be converting site to use CSS2/3, whether you want to insure your pages meet w3c.org's validation for html/xhtml and CSS, whether you want site to be available to those who are handicapped, but still surf the net.

Just ensure you have the proper <!DOCTYPE> for your pages, include the <meta> tags etc. You can use animations and/or flash on your site as long as you know they are property of the university or in the open domain. I really would not recommend using MS Word to make web pages. If you know how to do your own coding, maybe something like Matrix Y2K or AceHTML 6 Pro would be better. If you need to do it in a WYSIWYG Editor, then something like NVU or similar will be good.

Why can't you publish the pages directly yourself? Maybe they are not willing to give you access to CPanel. A site backup would need to be done of all original pages. Safeguard against screwing up a page by overwriting and you need a quick correction. :blink:

I'm sure others will have additonal suggestions, but, if you need help let me know. Love this stuff. Maybe look at a site I designed for a fraternity at Michigan State for ideas? SAE Frat.

Good luck.

Ron

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Holy Cow!
You did an awesome job of that website! Wow is all I can say! It IS awesome!!!!!

All I was told is to put the website information and format in word and the web tech guys will put it on our website.

If you want, I'll send you what I have accomplished so far, which obviously looks very, very simple.

I am trying right now, in between my regular duties as a secty, to make a nice logo for our school's various departments but so far have only come up with easy simple logos.

I'm doing some tuts on using psp8 and seeing what I can come up with.

Wow! If we could get our webpage to be as eye catching as the one you linked to....awesome!

I don't do html or any kind of coding, as I've said we are only supposed to have our web people do it and usually it's students.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sure, send me what you have and what you like to do. Maybe PM me or attach a file on here to download. Either way.

Thanks for compliments on site. It was finished some time ago, but none of the members want to keep it up nor hire me to do a monthly upkeep. So, there it sits...outdated! :whistling:

You said you don't do coding, so I guess you are just updating the content for the site? Send URL and I'll take a look. I might learn something new. Never can tell.

Ron