Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Running Waaay Too Many Processes

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 Bit, and doing anything on it is like watching the grass grow. It's slow and takes lots of time. At any given moment (without me shutting 20 down), there are 55-60 processes running, and over 40 of those processes are System Processes needed to run the computer. I hate those stupid svchost's! I have a sneaking suspicion that dual processes were invented JUST to keep up with Windows Vista. And no, I don't have a dual processor on this machine.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a way to make my machine go faster in light of many system processes, or if there is any program that I can use to limit processes on this machine. Windows XP ran so much faster.

• Games Run Slow
  • Video Editing Playback is Slow

*These things used to be FINE in Vista, and no - I'm not interested in buying a "new graphics card."

Everest report included.
--- I do not run any programs off of my D Drive nor do I run my video editing from this drive, it is merely a storage drive.

My "Global Space" is limited to only 9k because I've uploaded many screenshots here before, here is a link to a text file on sendspace.

I did not upgrade to Vista, I installed it with discs on a wiped drive over a month ago.

Edited by hysteria, 02 March 2007 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
512MB of ram is WAY to low, the minium recommended requirements is 1GB, but Ultimate is by far the most demanding OS out there right now because it has what all the other OS's have together, I'd suggest to have 2GB as it seams to be the sweat spot. Your graphics card is fine, but your only options are really to buy more ram.
Also the operating system is not multithreaded, Dual or Quad cores give no advantage, which i find is dumb on micro softs part, the next one better be.
James

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are two main problems here:

1) General speed of the computer as a whole. Its possibly too underpowered to run Vista Ultimate at a decent speed with all the flashy graphics. You may get away with any other version if you turn the eye candy off.

2) Amount of memory. 512Mb is borderline even for Vista Basic, never mind Ultimate.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thank you for posting guys, I appreciate it so much, but I do have a couple of questions:

Mr. Jones, What are you referring to when you say the "general speed" of my computer is slow?
Is there anything I can do now to improve performance without the RAM?

And..

Is there a way to turn off the "flashy" graphics in Vista?
I've heard this in many threads but never have seen a solution.

I'm definetely going to upgrade the RAM, -- how hard is it to put that in? I'm familiar with assembling computers, but I've never put RAM in before. Does RAM require device drivers and such? Is it recognized right away? (Edit: I have 2 slots with one being utilized - I'm afraid that if I got 2 gigs and put them in both slots, then my computer would freak out at not having the 512... Do you get what I mean? Am I crazy?) Thanks for taking a look at my specs, and thanks for your help guys, really.

Edited by hysteria, 06 March 2007 - 04:33 AM.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi

Ram just plugs in. No drivers. Very simple. Just buy the right ram.

I have 1 gig in my laptop. I installed the Memory/Cpu gadget. When I have nothing running the ram gauge shows about 56% usage. This means over 512 is being used just for having Vista premium. So Increasing your ram is a MUST.

Vista also scans your computer to determine if it will turn on Aero (special effects for Vista). If your score is under 3.0 it wont be enabled unless you turn it on.

Use the Windows Experience Index to determine how your computer holds up to Vista. Check it out to determine your score.

Heres the link to explain everything.

http://windowshelp.m...5a780a1033.mspx