Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Vista?

• Please log in to reply

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Im looking for some advice on weather or not to upgrade my system to windows vista.

This is a Sony Vaio FS850. Ive got 1G ram, I can make the HD space, and a 1.86ghz processor. However, my Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML chip will apparently NOT support aero because Intel wont write the drivers for it.

Several questions. If I do upgrade, how will my system run. Is it worth the hassle (bearing in mind aero and anything else that need the WDDM diver)?

I already have a copy of Windows Vista Business (in case removing the money factor changes your advice at all). I got it free through MSDNAA.

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
If theres lack of drivers for your laptop you will have ports that dont work e.g. tv out, s-video etc. you need to be sure that you can get the drivers. I wouldnt upgrade because you will lose some of the hardware if you dont have the drivers. If XPs running slow or crap just reinstall it and then dont install as much just the things you really want on it and it will just as fast as Vista.

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the reply!

I dont anticipate having any problems with drivers besides my video card. I ran RC2 for a while without problems with most of my hardware.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Well if you ever think your going to need any of the video outputs i wouldnt cause i wanted to plug my laptop in the tv today and it didnt have the divers for the S-Video out so i was stuck.

Edited by rumble291, 03 March 2007 - 12:19 PM.

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Awsome. Thanks I never thought of that.

gravesmeister

gravesmeister

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Vista BAD! Well right now anyway. Ahem! XP good!

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
It depends really because XP can be stable as long as you dont fill it will rubbish. Vista is pretty much stable but i havent used it for a long time also another thing is that un-signed drivers cant install on Vista unlike XP where you can install as many as you want which makes it alot less stable. I tend to install all the drivers i need and leave it because battlefield 2 is really badly writen so its sensitive to new drivers, overclocks etc.

sonny51

sonny51

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Paul,
I have spoke with many individuals who are advanced users and I would suggest not installing Vista.
To many issues and bugs at this time. Microsoft has yet to come out with an new OS that doesn't have problems. Give it some time.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Like every user, its a good idea to wait. Unless you want to be on the cutting or are buying a new computer. Every OS is like this at the beginning, the road will only become smoother ahead. Bugs aren't much of an issue at this time, it's mainly driver support.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 March 2007 - 08:19 PM.