Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Harddrive not working

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
:help:
we recently got a sata hardrive 320 gb to replace are old 1. we bought it because we looked around on the web and it said tht are type of mother board was sata enabled.
after we got it and tried installing it we found the motherboard has no sata conection anywere
so we went and bought a SATA to IDE converter which worked fine apart from it was only the input out put thing (not power)
we then went and bought the power adapter
we have set it up but wen we boot the computer it comes up with no priamry hardrives found and no sata hardrives found
the harddrive is working because we can feel it vibrating and hear it
the green light on the board we bought to convert the sata to ide has a green light on but the computer just isnt reading it atall
Need help please
any1 no wot to do?? :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What kind of motherboard do you own? Is the Sata converter made by the same manufacture as the motherboard? Sometimes, (no matter what they say!), compatability issues can arise from 3rd party manufactures that claim their converters will work with your motherboard.

Did you look in your bios to see if the bios even recognizes the Sata drive? Check your bios also to see if there is a setting to enable using a Sata hard drive.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Attached File  DxDiag.txt   52.43KB   131 downloadsok no its not made by the same computer company
but if it converts it to ide it wouldnt need sata?
attached is my pc info

Edited by ==SpuD==, 05 March 2007 - 10:37 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

but if it converts it to ide it wouldnt need sata?

I was just wondering if the bios sees the drive. Go into bios and see if you can force the bios to autodetect the drive. If it can't detect it, then the motherboard may not be able to support it even with the converter.

EDITED...

Now I'm a bit confused here. I just re-read your specs and your computer according to THIS LINK says it supports Sata drives.

The only photo I could find on a GX270 motherboard was in an ebay auction. It looks like the Sata connectors may be white and close to the edge of the motherboard near one of the IDE connectors. Try looking at this photo and see if it looks like your motherboard.

Edited by makai, 05 March 2007 - 11:50 AM.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
i think ive had my motherboard changed on the warenty because of doge btch
would tht show up on the dxdiag thoe?
il chek to see if i can find it again

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
sorry i havent replied in a while forgot my username and pass
anyway i will have a look if it has got any sata ports when i get bck
by the way i think i might have had the motherboard changed

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
thnx for help eventually found it sneaakly hidden under a bunch of power cablez and with a cap on tht made it look like a clip thing
thnx for your help!

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
thnx for help eventually found it sneaakly hidden under a bunch of power cablez and with a cap on tht made it look like a clip thing
thnx for your help!