Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

call of duty 2 problem

• Please log in to reply

revenga

revenga

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello, i dont know if you guys cover this topic but when I play "Call of Duty 2" online multiplayer, whenever a grenade kills my guy, the program exits and a message comes up and tells me that an error has occurred and it has something to do with "cod2mp_s.exe". Its really annoying and It would be great if you can help me with this problem. Thank you!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
It sounds like you have a conflict with custom mods/maps that have been downloaded. I would recommend that you cleanup your install location.

the default folders are :
awe
docs
main
miles
pb

the main folder contains the maps that you have installed or downloaded. The default files are:
iw_00.iwd through iw_15.iwd
localized_english_iw00.iwd through localized_english_iw11.iwd

any other folders are safe to remove. any other files under the main folder are safe to remove. If this doesn't resolve the issue then I would recomend that you uninstall and reinstall the game.

revenga

revenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I deleted the other items in the "main" folder and it did the same thing.. i have also reinstalled the game before and it did the same thing. Are there any other things i can try?

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Can we have the error message. It's kind of hard to help someone if we don't know the problem. Thanks

Jazza!

revenga

revenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK it said "Cod2mp_s.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then it asked me if i want to send or dont send..

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
uninstall the game. delete the install folder. Reboot and then reinstall and patch.

If the problem still exists trying reinstalling direct x 9.0c.

Next step after that would be to run a checkdisk on your hard drive.

revenga

revenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, I uninstalled and deleted all call of duty items, rebooted, and reinstalled, and... it still happened. where can i download patches and direct x? Also how would I run a check disk? Thank you for all of your help!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
cod:uo 1.51 patch is available here: http://callofduty.fi...es/Patches;4648

Direct x 9.0c: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

To run checkdisk open "my computer". Right click on the drive you want to check. I will use drive c as the example. Right click on C drive and select properties. Click on the tools tab. Click on "check now" under "Error Checking". Check both boxes and then click on start. It will alert you that it needs exclusive access to the drive and would you like to run it at next start up. select Yes. after the box goes away go ahead and restart your computer.

Once it reboots and you login (if set to do that on start up) it will then run checkdisk.

By going back to the tools tab, as specified above, you can choose to defrag. I would recommend defragging after checkdisk has been completed.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
OK, I have seen this error message a million times and there is about a million different problems it could be. For example if you have any mods it could do this but since you have re-installed it, it wouldn't be that. If your trying to run it with a different program such as a Hack or something don't. Just run it from the shortcut or the game folder (C:/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2). Also try not to go to a server from "Xfire" or "All seeing Eye" or anything like that. Just from the Actual .exe file.

revenga

revenga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well, I have done every thing that starjax told me to try and it still does the same thing, and i haven't used any mods or hacks. And I always run it from the short cut. could it have anything to do with my graphic settings or my graphics card, or since i don't have any sound on my computer?

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
What do you mean? You have no sound as you don't have a sound card or a sound card that doesn't work.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
OH And starjax those CoD folders are for Call Of Duty United Offensive. I belive this is Call Of Duty 2. Make sure you have all the required System specification.Click Here For Call Of Duty 2 system Specs.