Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting rid of duplicate files

• Please log in to reply

Mike Gee

Mike Gee

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is there any quick and simple way to find duplicated files in in XP, particularly in MY Documents?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Mike Gee!

No files can have the exact same name in the same folder, so most of the time duplicate files will have a (2) somewhere in them, or sometimes start with the words Copy of. You can try doing a search in My Documents for both of those, aka *(2)* and Copy* and see what shows up. Would be helpful if you gave an example of the original file name and the duplicate one so that we can see how the duplicate files are labeled.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 March 2007 - 04:32 AM.

Mike Gee

Mike Gee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for your suggestion - I tried and have already pulled up a few duplicates.
What I want to do is find files with the same name in different directories. Over the last 15 years I have migrated stuff over many computers and drives. I don't necessarily remember where I saved things before and so I am finding I have several copies of the same file in different directories ( Maybe I am just disorganized... LOL) Is there any way to identify these files or dump a list of all the files on my computer in alphabetical order so that I can look at the list and identify which ones have multiple copies spread over different directories? I am trying to do some housekeeping......

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then I would just do a search for *.mp3 (or whatever extension you are looking for) and then delete the duplicates it finds. I'm sure there are programs out there that would do this, but I wouldn't waste money buying a program to do something I can easily do myself. It's time consuming, yes, but not worth paying someone else to do it for me.

Fenor

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Set the folder view to Details and list by Size. then you can just run right down the list and find the dupes.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Mike Gee. Here a Freeware program. Don't forget to
always back up files first.
Removing Duplicate files
CloneSpy can help you free up hard drive space bydetecting and
removing duplicate files.
CloneSpy 2.21 Freeware

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=5146

Hope that helps you............. Dwight

Mike Gee

Mike Gee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Many thanks Dwight.
cspy really got the job done for me.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Mike Gee. :whistling:

kamilader

kamilader

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Keeping unnecessary duplicates on your computer means wasting valuable hard disk space. Duplicate File Finder will find and delete duplicate files so you won't experience lack of free disk space!