Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Convert .wps to .doc

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, we have a guy trying to open a file that was burned to CD for him. The extension is from works - .wps. We do not know what version of works saved the file. I found a conversion program that would allow us to open the file. The conversion program came from the Microsoft Webiste - article 315757 from the support page.

I have installed the converter. Now, every time we try to open the file, we receive a message stating that the file appears to be corrupt.

Any ideas?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you have the latest version of the MS Works 6 Converter, and it will be if it's a recent download, it should open without problem. It's fair to assume therefore that the reader is not the problem. Since the file has been written to CD it may indeed be corrupt.

The other possibility is that the file was created in a version of Works older than v6 (which the converter does not support) and the converter therefore thinks it's corrupted.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Thanks for the reply. This message, I suppose, can be closed. In the end, the guy told me not to worry about the conversion. We worked on it far too long.

I will try your method some time when I'm not busy because I'd still like to validate your response for future reference. At least I'll know what to do next time.

But yes, my best guess is that the CD was bad. The version of Works was very recent so I can only assume it's 8.?

Thanks for the reply.

Magus