Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help me get my sound back.

• Please log in to reply

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
its the first thing i did and yes there still was a yellow symbol beside it.
ill post you my pc from over here if only

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Go back to the Intel link I provided earlier, and download and install item #7 - INF support.

Reboot the computer. Go back to Device Manager, and check for yellow symbols. Is the audio controller still having issues? If so, try uninstalling it again. Reboot the computer and see if Windows can install it properly.

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks ill try that, ill come back on here tomoro and let yous know how i got on. its nearly bed time over here in ireland for me. thanks for all your help ill spread the word about yous. cheers.

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi, i was on the other day here about my speakers. ive now tried many things in trying to fix the problem but have failed. i have all the details on my pc, motherboard etc and have downloaded the integrated audio driver for it but still no sound. can somebody spare a few mins just to help me out, much appriciated.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you still have yellow symbols over the audio controller?

Please update us on what you have done so far.

You could try SFC (System File Checker). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Now, try to install the drivers again.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
ron111, we really want to assist you with this issue.

Please let us know exactly what you have done from the suggestions given, and what the results have been. Once we have an update, we'll reassess and try again to get the audio controllers installed.

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

ron111, we really want to assist you with this issue.

Please let us know exactly what you have done from the suggestions given, and what the results have been. Once we have an update, we'll reassess and try again to get the audio controllers installed.

i have no disc to help me out, i have tried to re install and i have gone and searched my computer for the files to install them myself, but to no avail. thanks again for your time hopefully we can get tit fixed.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
ron111, thanks for your patience. I am going to try to get some other opinions on your issue. We'll post back as quickly as possible.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
ron111, did you install the INF utility as suggested in Post #17?

The concensus is that the Chip Set drivers need to be installed. The INF Utility is the closest thing I can find to Chip Set drivers on Intel's site for your motherboard.

Please confirm that your computer is custom-built. If it isn't, what brand/model is it?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Ron111, I've attached a zip file that contains the INF folder from an Intel Express Installer CD for D845GLLY and D845GLAD boards. You can extract the contents to your desktop and run the setup.exe file. This should enable you to get the audio controller drivers installed.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Advertisements

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ron111, I've attached a zip file that contains the INF folder from an Intel Express Installer CD for D845GLLY and D845GLAD boards. You can extract the contents to your desktop and run the setup.exe file. This should enable you to get the audio controller drivers installed.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

hi, thanks ive done that now ill go try install the drivers. under human interface drivers i have my labtec audio controllers thats the make of my speakers but has a yellow symbol beside it. under sound and audio i have nothing so hopefully i can get it re installed now. thanks again

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi, ron111.

First, please confirm your operating system. Is it Windows XP? Home or Professional? SP1 or SP2?

Next, do you hear any kind of sound at all? Confirm that your speakers are plugged into the correct jack in the back of the computer and the the volume is not all the way down.

Now, go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, Volume tab. Confirm that the Device Volume slider is not on "Low" and that "Mute" is not checked.

Then, go to the Sounds tab. The bottom half of that screen is "Program Events". Click on one, then open the Sounds drop-down box and choose a sound to play. Next click the play button to the right of the Sounds drop-down box. Did you hear anything?

If still no sound, let's check in Device Manager - you may need to reinstall the sound card. Right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Expand the Sound, Video, Game Controller category. Do any of the items have a yellow ? or ! over them? Do you see the item that is your sound card? It may say something like "Brandname integrated sound controller".

If it has a yellow symbol over it, right click it and choose Update Drivers. You may need to have your driver disk handy.

If it appears okay, right click it and choose Uninstall. Reboot your computer and allow Windows to reinstall it.

Did that help?

hi i have some more info on the speaker situation i didnt know how to put a new post in on my last topic page so ive just tried to do it this way, hope its ok. audio drivers still installed but cant run them?? have all my computers info on an email i got it from everest?? do you know that site. helped me out a small bit.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, ron111. Yes, I've seen Everest reports. What is the new information?

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi, ron111. Yes, I've seen Everest reports. What is the new information?

ron111

ron111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
its told me all about my pc and what drivers are installed etc. is there any way i can forward it onto you or would that even help the situation. ive tried and tried to install with the wizard and its asking if i have a disk to help installation? as i said the speakers never came with any disk, they are just plug and play. ive nearly givin up hope at this stage. is there a way yous can access my pc from there online with my permission??

Edited by ron111, 16 March 2007 - 03:44 AM.