Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows crashed, reinstalled, still strange.

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
My XP crashed. I formatted, reinstalled, downloaded the necessary drivers etc... almost everything works.
Unfortunately, when I start my computer, the Windows XP logo is all weird, and when windows opens, I don't get any support from my graphics card (it's not doing anything nor is it available to.) Maybe this is a graphics issue then, but I'll let you decide.
I downloaded the NVidia FX go5600 driver for my laptop. (From alienware.com nvidia doesn't have the driver available) either way, it kept going black before the install finished, I left it for 10 minutes, still black. So I downloaded the detonator driver, it installed, but it still has an explanation point beside it. So now I have driver version 6.2.2.0. with code 28 (couldn't find relevant google documents).
Other Devices has a question mark beside Base System Device, I read up on it and some people have had issue with network devices... mine are fine, so I'm guessing its generic and related to my go5600 but I don't really have a clue on this one.
I'm not really sure where to investigate further, sort of at a road block and would appreciate a little guidance or assistance at this point.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Unfortunately, FUState, not all drivers for the same device from different internet sources are going to be compatible even if they look to be the same from the name. This is especially true for laptops and integrated devices on main boards.

In such cases you need to get the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website as your first port of call, as their own drivers will have been customised to match the device which is also likely to have been customised. Most laptop maker's websites carry all the system drivers your laptop needs. Getting a 'straight' OEM driver from anywhere else is therefore likely to be incompatible.

You haven't given any make/model number of your lappy so I can't help you any further.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Yes I understand this. My laptop is an alienware Area51-M 766 with Nvidia go5600 video card.
I downloaded the video card driver from alienware's website, but as I mentioned it does not go through the entire install and just blacks out.
The detonator driver that I installed I have used previous to my computer being formatted which would suggest there is some type of ?compatability? driver or software that allows my video card driver to work with this setup as you mentioned.
I downloaded and installed an Accelerate Graphics Port driver as well, which I was convinced would solve the problem, right up until after I realized it didn't make a difference.
They have Bios updates available as well, and it mentions that it sets the GPU to specific speeds, but my Bios, unless damaged I don't see if I would need to do anything to it, unless I do... I duno.
I've pretty much reached the limit of my understanding, hopefully I mentioned something that helps you help me.