Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could not defrag pav.sig

• Please log in to reply

tammylynn

tammylynn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My first time here so bare with me please. I defragged my XP and at the end, it had logged that 1823 fragments (4.00GB) that could not be defragged. It was titled "\WINDOWS\pav.sig. Any idea what this is or how to fix it? The progress bar was striped like it had not been defragged at all. :whistling:

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
That is part of Panda Anti-Virus. You need to defrag in Safe Mode so programs aren't running in the background. That way the files can be moved.

tammylynn

tammylynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I defragged in Safemode as you said and it's still there. Any other ideas I might try?
Thanks

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Ther are some files that cannot be moved such as those from your anti-virus program. Did defragging in Safe Mode do a more thorough job this time?

tammylynn

tammylynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Whiskeyman, but I did it in SAFEMODE and there was no change. Would it help if I uninstall my antivirus and antispam, etc, then reinstall afterwards? Is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks,
Tammy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some files are always in use regardless of how you start Windows. Panda's virus file definition is one of them.

I would not worry about being unable to defrag it, its not a critical file.

tammylynn

tammylynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Ned. AOL live help gave me some ideas to get rid of the virtumunde and speed things up abit. Im fixing to try them. Ill let yous guys know how it goes.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
AOL doesn't know it's butt from a hole in the ground. If you need to remove infections I strongly suggest to do the following.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here