Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Computer hangs sometimes with monitor switch off

• Please log in to reply

sandeepandjaya

sandeepandjaya

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dear Team,

Request your help.

I run a Acer Pentium 2 GHz/256MB RAM/40 GB disk/Speedtouch ADSL modem and Windows XP Home with SP2. I use AVG Antispyware, AVG antivirus, XSoftSpy, Ad-Aware and Spybot and Advanced Windowscare Personal.

Problem : Suddenly my computer hangs. The screen freezes OR the monitor switches itself off. Usually this happens when I log on to the Internet.

Additional info : I tried to get into safe mode(using F8) to run more scans but then only a part of the screen appears and I cannot access the buttons on many of the software.

PLEASE HELP

Sandeep

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi Sandeep.. The next time that happens please do the following :

START RUN type eventvwr and look for white crosses in red circles under any of the 3 chapters you see there.

sandeepandjaya

sandeepandjaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Attached File  SystemLogMarch6_2007.txt   195.51KB   88 downloadsAttached File  ApplicationlogfileNMarch6_2007.txt   208.45KB   83 downloadsThanks for the reply.

Do you mean that I should reboot the machine and then try this ??

Because when my machine hangs , it is a hard hang. It does not respond to the keyboard at all.
The power on light and the disk access light stays on but the system is totally unresponsive.
I have to switch off power completely by keeping the power switch pressed for several seconds and then I have to start it again after 1-2 minutes.

I ran eventvwr just now (luckily it did not hang) and am attaching the log files below.

I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Warm regards,

Sandeep

sandeepandjaya

sandeepandjaya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just wanted to add that I lost 14 months of emails from my Inbox, in the crash today morning. I use Outlook Express. My sent items and other folders are fine. Is there a way to recover these inbox mails ??

Rgds

Sandeep

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Sorry for the delay..

Can't you go back to an earlier restore point?