Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to install/run software

• Please log in to reply

ambypants

ambypants

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When trying to install or run some software (specifically kids games) I receive the following error message
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
If I choose ignore the error message comes back up. IF I choose ignore again the message goes away but the application does not run. I did some research in to this and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. Here's what I did. I opened Regedit (the instructions told me to type in Regedit32 but that gave me the following error message "Can't find the file Regedit32 (or one of it's components)..."
When I opened Regedit I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
and deleted the vdd value by choosing delete from the edit menu. The instructions told me to choose add value from the edit menu but I didn't have an option for add so I chose new which gave me the options for a new key, string value, binary value or dword value. The instructions I have say to choose add value, type VDD in the value name box then choose REG_MULTI_SZ for the data type. I am unable to follow the final instructions to create the new VDD file. I'm running Windows 2000 professional. What do I need to do to resolve thise issue?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It was regedt32.exe, not Regedit32
You want to choose NEW > STRING VALUE, name it VDD
Then double click VDD and add REG_MULTI_SZ as the data

ambypants

ambypants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay, so this time I typed in regedt32.exe and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers and added a VDD file as per the instructions. Now when I try to run the application i'm getting an error message C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
What do I do now?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324767

ambypants

ambypants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, I followed the instructions from microsofts kbase. I did steps 1-4. on step 4 every time I typed in a command I received the message 'destination is not a directory'
I followed steps 5-14 but on step 15 I have to find a folder called %SYSTEMROOT%\System32. Where do I find this folder?
:tazz:

ambypants

ambypants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have the issue all taken care of now. Thank you for your assistance.