Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message - There Is No Active Mixer Device!

• Please log in to reply

lickum

lickum

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I keep getting this message about when I click on the volume control, "There is no active mixer device available, To install mixer device go to control panel........" I can play or here sounds when i use porgrams such as Windows Media Player as long as I keep it playing as far as I know. But if I don't play any music on any program after about 30 seconds of the computer booting up the taskbar turns white and I click on the volume icon and get that message. Not sure what is going on? I don't have anything disabled in the device manager. I have windows XP, use C-cleaner, Norton Anti-virus, Adawar SE Personal, Spybot search & destroy, disk clean up and degragment regulary. Everything else is working just fine.

Thanks for the help in advance,
James

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

Something is certainly not as it should be. Open a run dialogue (windows key and R) and type chkdsk /r /f

(notice the spaces - between k and / and between r and /)

You'll be told that this can be done at next restart if you type y - type y

Restart

Let me know how that goes please

Stevie

lickum

lickum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Stevie,

After that taking an hour, lol. The task bar doesn't turn white anymore but still no sound. I have to go into services.msc and go to windows audio and start it back up. Also I have noticed that Service Pack 2.0 from windows update says it doesn't download. And when I uninstalled media player and re-downloaded it, it askes to verify windows which is not a problem considering I purchase my laptop online from HP back in December. But the problem is I get this warning that say that the system back up in not on, which it is but I can't restore back to any point? I'm really confused on what's going on. Four days ago I chose to not launch my "Quick Launch Buttons" at start up and when I go back into msconfig.exe and check the box to launch it at start up but it does not launch like before (i.e. - no icon on bottom right side of taskbar). I don't know if one thing can cause so many problems.

Thanks,
James