Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system beep

• Please log in to reply

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
yesterday i got the system beep a couple of times when ie crashed, but now every time i try to adjust the volume i get the system beep instead of the familiar beep indicating the voulume. i tried uninstlling the hardware and reinstalling, didnt help. i noticed that if i switch sound schemes to windows default instead of none this problem doesnt occur but i dont like the sound scheme i prefer none.
any clues?

Advertisements

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
forgot to mention that there are two volume controls in my system tray, one from creative and the other windows, this problem only occurs in windows but in the creative there is no sound anymore.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Check in Device Manager under Sound click on the + sign and Expand and see if there are any Warning signs

To get to Device Manager click Start>>Run type devmgmt.msc click OK

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
no warnings sign. its working fine, if i adjust the volume, it will be adjusted, the problem is the familiar beep which notifies you of the volume change has been replaced with the loud annying sytem beep. like i said this only happens when the sound scheme is set to none but if set to windows default, no problem.

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Set the sound scheme to none the check the sounds in the list with the Speaker Icon beside them and click on them and then click ob the small arrow to play them......do this until you find the exact sound and see what it is.

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
when set to none there are no speaker icons.

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Go to control panel, system, hardware, device manager, view, show hidden devices, non-plug and play drivers, disable Beep.

:whistling:

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
i disabled beep in the device manager, now there is no volume indicator at all.
did i disable all system beeps, should i reenable it?

Edited by syb388, 07 March 2007 - 08:09 AM.