Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating P4 Processor Drivers on New ASUS P5B

• Please log in to reply

SteelCutter

SteelCutter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I successfully (almost) upgraded from an ancient PII system to a new P4 with an ASUS P5B board. Originally, booted into XP, and then after about a minute, got booted to a BSD referencing the processr.sys file and a full memory dump.

After fixing some driver issues in Safe Mode and renaming the processr.sys file I can boot into XP and have everything working the way it was.... except I can't seem to get the new processor dirvers into the system and the mouse is responding very slowly and jumping (probably the same issue).

Device manager shows 2 processor icons (correct, I have Hyper-Threading Enabled) but they don't have drivers associated with them and are both "Yellow Exclaimed" Out.

When I try to install the drivers from the ASUS disk They install and reboot sucessfully from the disk, except when I initiate set-up.exe on the disk, I keep getting the Q2E error that says I have to install the USB drivers.

I am running XP without SP1 or SP2. How do I get the new processor to work properly on the new Board. Can I uninstall / re-install? .. Delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum? Also, do I need to install the USB upgrade as an SP/SP2 XP upgrad or can I do it as a stnad alone?

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd suggest updating to sp2 whenever you get yourself set up...

if you can get online go to the asus website and locate the chipset drivers for your motherboard...that should update the drivers you need for the processors

SteelCutter

SteelCutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I downloaded the drivers and I believe they are the same as on the ASUS disk.

Is the USB 2.0 conflict I seem to be having, related to the chipset installation. (i.e. Do I have to have the USB 2.0 drivers running before the chipset can be upgraded?

Is the driver update you mentioned as simple as just using the device manager to update this type of driver?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the chipset drivers should come in an executable installer where you run it and it installs

SteelCutter

SteelCutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help, Will that by itself update the processor driver? I am about 85% sure I have aleready installed these drivers from the disk (from the executable) I tried this several times last night (comp is at home).

If i recall, I couldn't upgrade the drivers in device manager, Should I uninstall first then try and load on reboot into XP?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you shouldn't have to uninstall...and you SHOULD just have to run the installer that you download..

SteelCutter

SteelCutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll try that tonight, thanks.