Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP running very slow

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks 1101doc for the heads up on IE 7 ...I quit using IE for anything including updates several years back...strictly Firefox now and for the foreseeable future :whistling:

to yoursangoma svhosts are wrappers...basically a program that runs other programs..we need to figure out which one is causing the problem...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After you start a computer several processes can slow it down for a considerable period of time:

1: Automatic updates and scans performed by antimalware programs. Usually you can cancel automatic updates and scannings but then it is your responsibility to operate them manually, so there is a trade off between peace of mind and performance.

2: Windows automatic updates. Usually the computer looks for updates after startup and it can reduce performance considerably. Added together the two processes can slow low - medium performance computers very badly for a period of time. You can disable automatic windows updates in control panel: control panel > security center. Disable automatic upfdates then click "change the way security center alerts me" and uncheck automatic updates. Please be awre that you will not receive any downloads or warnings related to windows updates. again, a trade off between peace of mind and performance.

To sum it up: it looks to me that your requirements from the computer are very ordinary and do not require any special performance. Under this assumption I would recommend that you do not disable any processes, including those I proposed here, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

After you start a computer several processes can slow it down for a considerable period of time:

1: Automatic updates and scans performed by antimalware programs. Usually you can cancel automatic updates and scannings but then it is your responsibility to operate them manually, so there is a trade off between peace of mind and performance.

2: Windows automatic updates. Usually the computer looks for updates after startup and it can reduce performance considerably. Added together the two processes can slow low - medium performance computers very badly for a period of time. You can disable automatic windows updates in control panel: control panel > security center. Disable automatic upfdates then click "change the way security center alerts me" and uncheck automatic updates. Please be awre that you will not receive any downloads or warnings related to windows updates. again, a trade off between peace of mind and performance.

To sum it up: it looks to me that your requirements from the computer are very ordinary and do not require any special performance. Under this assumption I would recommend that you do not disable any processes, including those I proposed here, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

It very well could be the update that is causing the slowing. The little update icon shows in the bottom corner when this is happening. It always shows 0% downloaded and then the icon dissapears without anything downloading. I will try the suggested fixes for this and see how it goes. I will also monitor the performance as the computer stays on for a little to see if it changes at all.

Thanks!

Edited by yoursangoma, 09 March 2007 - 09:32 AM.