Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PowerPoint 2003 and Excel 2003: Macros

• Please log in to reply

stu_design

stu_design

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I have an issue

I have exported a table from Access as XML to Excel
This is alldone thru macros

Now when I open excel and paste special, say a chart, as a link(from excel). It runs the macro to go into access and exports a certain table. Excel then updates the XML data. But when i create the linked chart in powerpoint, and close and save,
I Then open the PPT presentation and it brings up a message saying if i want to update the links. I say yes and it updates the chart.

This is exactly what i want and have completed.

But there's a Problem. Excel, when powerpoint updates teh links, stays in teh computer background which takes up memory. When I close, thru Task MNGR, Excel. And I open the PPT Presentation. There's an error!!!

Plz help I need to close the Excel running in the background, when the excel file is closed thru task mnger, when the PPT prez is opened, prevent the error message friom popping up!!

Any Help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Why exactly do you want to close excel. It doesn't take up that much memory that you should really have to worry about it. Just minimize it so that it doesn't show.

Why not just copy the chart and place it in PPT?

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
It still brings up an error if say the user trys to update the info again after ppt prez
updates the links itself

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It shouldn't be trying to link if the chart image is copied and pasted. It shouldn't even act like it ever had contact with excel. Try saving the chart in my documents as a .jpeg or .bmp ......
Thats how I've always imported my charts to PPT

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
PS Im pasting the chart into the ppt prez, but i need it to be error free. My way of doing is working, but its the small errors im trying to fix. Im trying to make it error free

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
its also linked to Excel!!!!

Thanks for the help...

:tazz: Its a start. Its hard finding help

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm certified in Excel, and let me tell you it's hard to find help because it's hard to give it. LoL. :tazz:

Umm... lets see. If it is going to be linked to Excel then Excel will probably have to be open regardless, but like I said Minimize it. No worries there.
This little error you're talking about is annoying though.. what exactly is the message you are getting?

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
[removed], sorry for the lang, but it strated working just now.
5 min ago it was a big prob!!!
thnx anyway. If i need help ill be back.

This site is awesome. Thnx 4 ur help

Edited by admin, 04 April 2005 - 02:07 PM.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
You're Very welcome, and please watch your language here. We intend to have a clean site.

I'm going to work If you have anymore trouble please post it. I or someone else will assist you as soon as we can.

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Thnx i will kkeep the lang clean

Thanks a Bunch

stu_design

stu_design

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Actually there is a problem!!!

Say if I close the excel file running in the background, a couple of days later, u open the excel app and it says it has recovered some files. Anyway to get around this or is that gonna be a prob???

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm not sure. I'll look into it.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have found no information to this. I'm sorry. I also asked my Instructor at school. He said that he does not know anything about that type of occurence. He said if anything it is just attempting to make sure everything is there.

I don't that it will hurt anything, but he didn't know of anyway to disable it. He is certified in everything to do with MS Office so I'm not sure what to tell you.
I'm Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on this.
I will continue to ask others and see if I can find someone that has experienced something similiar.

Sincerely,
The Lightninghawk