Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Space Issue

• Please log in to reply

tenthels

tenthels

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have a 20 gig hard drive and it indicates that there is less than one gig of free space. The problem is that the "add/remove programs" window only shows a couple of gigs worth of stuff? We defragmented recently. What is taking up all the space? My 12 year old is ready to explode because he can't load his new game. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
it is probably your stored data, be that films or photos or whatever, probably stored in "my documents" but could equally be elsewhere so you will have to find them, then you will have to either delete that data or transfer that data either by burning it to a cd or placing it on an external hard drive.

If as you said that you don't have many programs, and since the XP system only takes 1.5gb out of your 20gb hard drive, it is probably what I have mentioned above but let us know if there is not any transferable data(by data I mean music, films, photos, etc.,), thanks

Edited by fleamailman, 08 March 2007 - 07:13 AM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
If your kid installs a lot of games I would seriously consider buying a larger hard drive. I usually use 20GB just for XP, updates and it's applications.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just some additional info:

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Ron

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I added an exterior USB hard drive to my XP Home system and now I can save just about anything I want and still keep my local C:\ drive relatively free. I have even installed non essential programs on my external, and they run fine. I do not recommend that you move installed programs from one hard drive to the other. I got myself in BIG trouble that way!