Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slide bar moves without me doing it

• Please log in to reply

waynegr

waynegr

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
Hi whoever many be going to help me, here is what me and my new friend SNOWHITE have been doing the last week, and then is something new I asked here, and it’s happened three times sinse.

Wnin XP,

Kapersky, ad.aware, spybot.

http://www.geekstogo...s...49608&st=15

Hi there SNOWHITE,

Done all you say and everything seems fine, from what you helped me get rid of, however a few months ago, my slide side or bar on side of computer just stated to move up and down on it’s own, but since then nothing, but it did it today twice for over a minute, did it on the internet, in Word and Outlook Express, could this be a hacker, I have a fire walled router, Windows firewall and Kaspersky ?

Wayne

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi waynegr...

Because all the programs you mentioned are integrated with Internet Explorer, let's start there. I see you have IE6 installed on your machine...is there a reason you haven't upgraded to IE7? I know some folks have had problems with IE7, but installing that may be one way to find out if IE is the source of the problem.

OR...we can try running a repair on the current installation of IE6 if installing IE7 is a problem for you.

wannabe1

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is this a desktop PC and you are using a mouse or is it a laptop with a touchpad? Usually this occurs because of problems with the mouse/touchpad or graphics card/onboard graphics.

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Is this a desktop PC and you are using a mouse or is it a laptop with a touchpad? Usually this occurs because of problems with the mouse/touchpad or graphics card/onboard graphics.

Hi Whiskeyman,

I am using a desk PC, is there anything I can do to correct this, or check if it is what you say, thank you in advance.

Wayne

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
You can try cleaning the mouse or test with another one. You could pull the graphics card out and reseat it. Check Device Manager for errors with your graphics drivers. Go to Start > Run and type: dxdiag then press <Enter> and run the tests to see if there are any graphics problems.

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

You can try cleaning the mouse or test with another one. You could pull the graphics card out and reseat it. Check Device Manager for errors with your graphics drivers. Go to Start > Run and type: dxdiag then press <Enter> and run the tests to see if there are any graphics problems.

Ok I will try that.

Wayne

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Hi waynegr...

Because all the programs you mentioned are integrated with Internet Explorer, let's start there. I see you have IE6 installed on your machine...is there a reason you haven't upgraded to IE7? I know some folks have had problems with IE7, but installing that may be one way to find out if IE is the source of the problem.

OR...we can try running a repair on the current installation of IE6 if installing IE7 is a problem for you.

wannabe1

Hi wannabe1,

I did installIE7, but did not like something on it, can't remember what it was, so I uninstaled it.
Yes could we try running a repair on IE6 please, and thx for helping.
Wayne

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Search, select "All Files and Folders". Select "More Advanced Options" and place a check beside the "Search Hidden Files and Folders" option. Ensure that "Search System Folders" and "Search Subfolders" are also checked.

In the "All or Part of the File Name" box, type ie.inf and in the "Look In" drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder. Click the Search button.

In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder...right click on it and choose "Open Containing Folder". In the window that opens, that file should be selected (you may have to scroll down to see it)...right click the ie.inf file and click "Install" on the context menu. Reboot the computer when the process is complete.

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

waynegr

waynegr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
Hi there wannabe1,

Sorry about the delay, found three files, but they are just on notepad.

Hope you don't mind me asking this, but it could be connected, when I am on different sites on the internet this happens, say I am here,

http://stores.ebay.c...W0QQfsubZ315761

and I try to click one of the shop categories on the right, it goes to a black page and says done, this is very annoying.

Wayne

Edited by waynegr, 11 March 2007 - 06:15 PM.