Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound in web page videos (youtube etc)

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi there, I'm having a problem with my dads pc which has been bugging me for several weeks. One day, audio from web page videos (youtube, google video, myspace audio player etc) disappeared - yet sound still plays in windows media player ad itunes. I've had programs like media monkey installed and reinstalled them, then noticed the sound had disappeared from websites shortly after this. I've tried WebSoundFix, to no avail. Reinstalled Flash player, still nothing. Tried the K-Lite Codec audio registry fixer, still not working. Reinstalled audio drivers, still nothing(although the drivers dont seem to be a problem as sound is played through WMP, itunes etc). There are several audio codecs installed, and I am beginning to wonder if a codec installed from an old program like Media Monkey has destroyed the function of my audio. the problem persists in IE, Firefox and Opera, so it is not browser-specific. At the moment there are 11 codecs installed, which are as follows:

imaadp32.acm
msadp32.acm
msg711.acm
tssoft32.acm
msg723.acm
Windows Media Audio Codec (this is the one WebSoundFix enabled, but sound no longer works in WMP)
Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
Microsoft PCM Converter

The following audio drivers are installed:
C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Genius SM32X2 PCI Audio (WDM)
Genius SM32X2 PCI Joystick Controller
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Video Codecs

I've got a feeling there's more than necessary in those lists, but now WebSoundFix has changed the default codecs and now I am getting to sound whatsoever(

Please, if you know how, help me remedy this problem

Thank you!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Spider-Man!

How To Fix:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regedit to open the Registry Editor
  • Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • Now right-click on the heading Drivers32 and select NEW-->STRING VALUE.
  • Call this new String Value wavemapper.
  • Now double-click the wavemapper entry you just created and for the VALUE field, type in msacm32.drv and click OK.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try watching a video on YouTube again.
Fenor

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks for your help Fenor. I have tried this and it doesn't seem to work. I've opened up the case and found there is onboard sound, a PCI graphic card and no front panel audio - therefore I'm pretty sure there should be jumper pins on audio pins 5&6 and 9&10 to direct the audio to onboard sound, as it's best to have onboard sound than no sound at all? I opened Lavalys Home Edition and it reports there are two sound devices installed and two audio codecs being used - shouldn't this be one device installed and being used as well as one codec? Hmm, let me know what you think.
Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then I would start uninstalling/removing the codecs you have installed and reboot after uninstalling/removing each one until you get your sound back.

Fenor

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
If I do this, how will I get the codecs back - ie. if if uninstall all the codecs, and reboot, how do I get the working codec installed? There's now no sound on the pc at all in any applications, so I think one of the codecs I did uninstall has killed off sound in WMP:(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try getting xp codecs...here...
It has the AC3Filter you need