Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thumbs [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Putneydude

Putneydude

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have this file called Thumbs appearing here and there on my XP system, e.g., in My Pictures. It's 12kb, has a couple of 'cogs' as an icon and if I try to delete it, a dialog box pops up warning that I am about to delete a systems file.

I had spyware on the PC last year and you guys helped me with Hijack This logs which got rid of it. However, I am wondereing whether this is a hangover of that experience. Have you heard of this before?

Thanks for the help,

Putneydude.

Advertisements

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
the thumbs file is a file that is usually hidden, and is harmless. It is essentially a little database file that windows creates to cache thumbnails from files you're viewing either on the desktop or in windows explorer. Are you having other problems with your computer?

Putneydude

Putneydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No other problems. Just would rather 'thumbs' remained hidden

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
you can tell windows not to display hidden files. Open up My Computer, click on "tools" at the top of the screen, and click on "folder options". Go over to the "view" tab, and select "do not show hidden files and folders" also check "hide protected operating system files" if it is unchecked

Putneydude

Putneydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Avohir,

you are a genius (or maybe just not as incompetent as me at this stuff)! Files now hidden.

The process you described rings a bell. I think these files were showing because we revealed them when we were evicting the spyware - obivously I forgot that step and never hid them again.

Thanks for the help - relieved nothing iffy going on.

Regards,

Putneydude.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
hahaha, I appreciate the compliment, but I'm hardly a genius. I'm just a HJT flunkie.

but I'm glad we could help. :tazz:

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Edited by Avohir, 04 April 2005 - 04:37 PM.