Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD software

• Please log in to reply

fredgregg

fredgregg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
What software do i use to recover the data off my old HDD. The shop wants AUD $99 per 4gig
Any help is most welcome

Fred

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did the drive crash?

It would be worth it to me to pull it out of the computer, pop it in an enclosure and attach it to another computer. You may be able to the browse the drive and retrieve the data yourself.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we need more info in order to help you....is the drive in a working computer...is it laying on your desk...did it stop on its own or did you add a new hard drive and set the old drive up as a slave

fredgregg

fredgregg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
According to the comp shop the motherboard is is dead and the HDD wont spin up, but they recovered one of my wifes, urgent, homework docs off it and said the rest should be recoverable. I need My docs, pics and addresses.

Thanks again
Fred

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the drive hooked to a computer...laying on the floor... or in the trunk of your car

fredgregg

fredgregg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry, its still in the old PC but i have another i can put it in, as a slave.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...put it in as a slave and get the info off ...be sure the jumpers are set correctly end of cable is master ...middle is slave

Edited by happyrck, 09 March 2007 - 08:12 PM.

fredgregg

fredgregg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hooked it up, got a warning that windows wouldn't start to protect it self. Removed the slave now the original wont spin up. Oh well Sh1t happens.
Thanks

Fred

Edited by fredgregg, 10 March 2007 - 11:10 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you unplug the computer from the wall before working inside...because there is still power to the mobo even when turned off