Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, I need a graphics card that can handle the shiny new stuff in Windows Vista (like Aero and all that) for the cheapest possible price. I've been looking around online and in stores and the cheapest Vista-Premium one I can find is the "XFX GeForce 7100GS 64/256MB DDR2 PCIE VGA".

Linky:
http://www.dabs.com/...?Quicklinx=49NX

I kinda need help though. See at the bottom where it says...

Installed Size 64 MB
Max Allocated RAM Size 256 MB

What does that mean? Do you have to add more RAM to it or something? I was speaking to a friend that said it could mean that I'd have to devote memory from the "main RAM" to the graphics card. So, If I had 1GB memory installed I'd have to "give" 192MB to the graphics card to make it to 256MB. Sounds a bit confusing.

Can anybody help? Please?

:whistling:

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
basically what it means is that the actual card has an installed amount or RAM on-board in this case 64Mb which isnt that much at all, and the card has the capability to "steal" RAM from the system RAM which allows the card to performe better yes. but also measn your system will run slower during games and such

i would look at getting a better card that might struggle with advance vista operations (to my knowledge)

what is your max budget?? that will help to steer you in the right direction,

troppo

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Um, max... £40 (including delivery). The situation is that my dad was going on about Vista and he asked me to order a copy. By the time it'd arrived (we ordered online), he'd decided that I was forbidden to install it on the computer as his friend had to take it off his laptop. I tried to explain that his laptop was very limited (1Ghz, 512MB RAM, 64MB integrated graphics), but he still didn't want me to put it on there. So there's a copy of Vista Home Premium, bought and paid for, just gathering dust.

Now, I've got him to consider loading Vista onto the computer. He wants to reinstall Windows anyway, so he's letting me install Vista first to just see how it works. I want to show Vista in a good light, show it doing the shiny new things like Aero that make it actually look good. He's not going to care that the networking's been improved, he needs to be able to see the improvements. But, at the moment, the computer can't handle the Aero and the Flip 3D thing and the shiny new features because it's lacking a good graphics card and RAM. The graphics card just needs to do Aero, nothing like a gaming graphics card (well, it needs to be able to handle the Windows games).

What about this one:
http://www.dabs.com/...?Quicklinx=49WY

I think it's the same really, but with 128MB.

Thanks for the help so far by the way, troppo. :whistling:

Edited by o2mcgovem, 09 March 2007 - 06:14 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
One question, are you sure you have a PCI-E motherboard? Make sure you do because it is very important that the graphics card you buy is compatible with your motherboard. There is different price ranges between AGP and PCI-E graphics cards.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I have no idea what that means, but here's the manual for my motherboard...

http://www.fujitsu-s...8isxt-fs_uk.pdf

Does it say in there?

Also, just when will the winter end? Argh. (Well, it's not Winter here, it's just cold/raining all year round really).

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Looks like you have an AGP slot. So you're graphic selections might end up cheaper. Try this one it is descent for gaming and it will handle vista. Diamond S120 Radeon 9550 256MB DDR The price is in American dollars so you will have to do some math. Lol.

Edited by SOORENA, 10 March 2007 - 08:50 PM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Lol, maths isn't really my strong point. Hooray for Google!

That's a very good price, but they don't ship to the UK I don't think.

I've searched Google & Froogle UK, but I can't seem to find it. :whistling:

Edited by o2mcgovem, 11 March 2007 - 10:32 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Here this one should work out, its in euros too, CONNECT3D RADEON 9550 256MB DDR+TV+DVI 128BIT

Edited by SOORENA, 11 March 2007 - 11:14 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

So there's a copy of Vista Home Premium, bought and paid for, just gathering dust.

I could take it off of your hands for you :whistling:. Also I'd highly recommend a 7600GT, mine was £50 from ebay and is unbelivable for the price. I bought it as a budget card until I get an ATI R600 and I think I might stick with it a bit longer for the performance. All newest games on medium level and Vista could run effortlessly!

Oh, and have a look here http://play.com/PC/P...earchtype=genre

Edited by SuperSam, 11 March 2007 - 11:56 AM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay, thanks both. :whistling:

I'm going to go with the Play.com one I think, since I've shopped with them before and I know they're reliable.

A few quick questions about installation. Before, when I intalled a graphics card I... (1) Uninstalled the current drivers, (2) Turned off PC and grounded myself, (3) Removed old graphics card and slotted in new one and (4) Turned PC on and installed drivers.

But on a CNET weekend project, the dude had to buy a new power thing and plug a power lead into the graphics card. Do you know if this one'll need me to plug in a lead and buy a new power supply? I think it's only the really advanced ones that need it, but just to be safe.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You won't need a new power supply as this card doesn't soak up that much energy to need to do that. Just do the same simple steps as you have before, and post here if you come across any issues.