Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply

SooprmanX

SooprmanX

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok here is what happened, I am working ona stupid ME machine and I turn off the computer, install a wireless NIC that is compatible with ME, restart the machine, install the software then restart. Everything is working fine at this point. I go into network neighborhood and run through home networking wizard, the computer restarts and from then on when the computer restarts after displaying the Windows ME screen deal it loads a black screen with the cursor. I can move the cursor with the mouse and everything and for a while it turns into that hour glass like its doing something but the icons never come up.

I turned off the computer, removed the NIC, restarted the computer in safemode, removed all the network drivers and cards, removed the display adapter and restarted the computer. It started up, showed it reinstalling the display adapter, restarts again then same thing.

I have gone into safe mode and set the acceleration to non and every other setting there as well. I have gone into the CMOS and disabled the VGA from getting an IRQ.

I have also checked the IRQ's in the device manager. I think it is probably an IRQ conflict that is causing this. The Display adapter is IRQ 00 and the modem they have installed is 00 as well. I think that may be the problem. I am not sure. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
00 for the display adapter and modem?????

Cannot be. 00 is reserved for the system timer. Your computer will not work if adapters and modems, which signal interrupt requests frequently, conflicted with the system timer.

I suspect at least part of the issue was the computer looking for an ip address from a dhcp server.....kind of confused about the rest. First thing is to do is reset the cmos to defaults...

Reboot, tap f8, choose step by step confirmation....see where the machines hangs/failes.

SooprmanX

SooprmanX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well what should be the IRQ for the display adapter and the modem?

Also, it is hanging up when the windows drivers load up. If I were to tap F8 and load step by step confirmation, it is when the Windows driver load is when it messed up. Because when I hit no on loading windows drivers, it loads up in safe mode fine. It is when I load the drivers when it messes up. But I am not able to go driver by driver so I dont know what driver is causing the problem.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it will take a little time, but move ahead this way.

Drop into safe mode, remove devices (removable ones) one at a time, and reboot. Windows will rediscover the devices and reinstall the drivers.

sound
video
NIC
modem

If that doesn't work, you have a windows ME cd? (or the appropriate CAB files on the drive)?

SooprmanX

SooprmanX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

it will take a little time, but move ahead this way.

Drop into safe mode, remove devices (removable ones) one at a time, and reboot. Windows will rediscover the devices and reinstall the drivers.

sound
video
NIC
modem

If that doesn't work, you have a windows ME cd? (or the appropriate CAB files on the drive)?

View Post

I will try that. I do have the ME cd....What would I do with the CD though? I am on a good computer right now, should I make a bootup floppy?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, you probably should

We may have to do a system refresh with the cd.

SooprmanX

SooprmanX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yes, you probably should

We may have to do a system refresh with the cd.

View Post

I ran a program called Stinger and after that I restarted the computer and it worked fine. It was three viruses that was on the computer. I guess maybe the wireless card installation may have jumpstarted some viruses. I dont know. But it is fixed now...... :tazz: