Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

drwin.exe crashes on shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I've been having this problem scince the beginning, scince I got this PC a month and a half ago. That being said, I've been trying for all that time to find a solution to this problem... Google is all but vague, so I now humbly come to you for help.

Nearly everytime I reboot, or shutdown, I get a message telling me something very close to the following :

" drwin.exe could not be loaded, bla bla, click OK to terminate " ( the next time I see it, I'll be sure to post the complete message. One thing I find odd, first off, is that I can find no record of these crashes in the event viewer.

Next, I disabled error reporting with tuneUp utilities 2006, and the problem still arises.

I'm at a loss right now, of knowing how to solve this problem on my own.

Please help, and thank you. I'm still on the learning curve to the ever crashing M$ world. :whistling:

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
"Could not be loaded?" Does it exist? Do you have a file in System 32? In .dll cache? Have you run sfc-scannow on this installation?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Actually, my bad, it says "could not be initialized" that was only the window title, it goes away so fast I have Great difficulty at getting the rest of it...

I've also misplaced my XP disc unfortunately, I will try to get my hands on another soon. I installed the OS with one of those all-in-one dvd's (and used my legal key of course, my copy is entirely legit) that are out there, and cannot use It to do the sfc-scannow..

Ok, turns out my brother had a copy of the CD I need :whistling: I'm running the sfc scannnow right now, and will get back to you on the results later.

Edited by Vaillant, 11 March 2007 - 04:27 PM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, so the sfc /scannow completed with success... Unfortunately, that didn't solve my problem..

Also, I was mistaken, it isn't drwin.exe, it's dwwin.exe (my bad, like I said it goes away Very quickly)

Awaiting your next idea. Thanks.

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I am receiving the same message with another box with error code: 0x5ad71531. These seem to be related to Microsofts Dr Watson reporting system and IE when attempting to shut down/reboot.
I'm going to watch this forum as well for any advice rather than start my own. Thanks!

Bree

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Microsoft Application Error Reporting. C:Windows\system 32. When I double click mine it loads in Process Explorer for about 5-10 seconds before automatically terminating. How about yours? (Could try deleting the sys32 file and replacing it from the .dll cache. Likely have to use Unlocker or Move on Boot for this system file, though.) Have you run Dr Watson.exe? Any report there? Any "System" Errors in the event log relative to the time of the notice? Check Properties of the error for more info.

My best shot: System Properties>Advanced tab>Error Reporting. Make sure that the radio button is checked for "Disable Error Reporting." If already marked do the "Change it the other way and reboot and then change it back the way I want and reboot" thing.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, I disabled the error reporting through TuneUp utilities 3 days ago and that didnt fix it. Disabled the "Error Reporting Service" from services.msc earlyer, and That didnt fix it.

Executing dwwin.exe doesnt give me anything at all either. And I can find no reference to these crashes anywhere in the event logs. ( I had already mentioned this fact beforehand in my first post )

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
At this point, I would try turning everything back on: Tune-up, Services, and System Properties. Reboot, and then turn it off in System Properties with the radio button. Do the event logs show any errors at all around the right time? I'm thinking that it's actually something else that is creating the need for an error report, so looking in the "Application" logs might find something?

Since this is happening during shutdown, perhaps the User Profile Hive Cleanup Utility would help?
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
No, 1101, there are No errors in the event logs, whatsoever. Other than this lil glitch there have been no system errors, and this glitch isnt being logged.

Next thing that I'd like to point out is that scince the error here is that dwwin.exe cannot Initialize, it isnt that there is something generating an error report, its that the service/program itself isnt loading properly. I will try the hive cleanup tomorrow, its rather late here.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK. One last thought for tonight. This is occurring at shutdown. Suppose that one of the processes that are running at shutdown request "complains" about termination. System briefly registers error reporting request, but shutdown procedure prevents dwwin from initializing, and closes the report screen immediately? That would mean that one of your background processes is not terminating properly. Perhaps manually shutting them down one at a time before System Shutdown would reveal which it is.
That is, next shutdown, cancel one manually and see. The next time another, etc.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, the hive cleanup didnt work... But your idea does make sense, if a background service does "complain", it Could do these things... I just find it odd how it is still occuring despite my disabling the error reporting service...

So I'll be doing as you suggested, and shutting down my non-windows services prior to shutdown, one by one.. It'll take a small moment though, because this problem doesnt re-occur if I immediately reboot, I need to let the system run for a couple of hours for the error to creep up (might be another clue, but I think that at this point it might be my RemotelyAnywhere...)

I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, after many days of testing, deliberation, searching, I've been able to determine that it's my mouse driver program, SetPoint, that is causing the crashes.

I'm thinking about a plain old reinstall, unless you have a better idea? I'll wait for your say on this. Thx.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Re-install Windows or the mouse driver? I'd try the driver first. Maybe even get a different mouse. Besides, if the problem is with the mouse driver, no guarantee that it wouldn't do exactly the same thing to a fresh install of Windows.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
oh no no, haha, no reinstalling windows for me. I havent had to reinstall windows because of problems in years.
I'm gonna reinstall the driver to start with.. It didn't do this with my dell (computer I had before this one) so its obviously just a software glitch somewhere.. I'll get back to you.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, so the reinstallation of the setpoint driver didnt help. Further, I tried to put in a shutdown, and then moved it to logoff script, that terminates setpoint.exe... this resulted in giving me an error involving dumprep.exe

I'm at a loss here... my mouse works just fine, but the driver crashes on shutdown, what should I do about it?