Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

antivirus

• Please log in to reply

lana_anic

lana_anic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Kaspersky antivirus program, but my updates are now disabled because my license key is blacklisted, though it didn't expire.
I was wondering is there any way to avoid disablement of my updates, and what blacklisting really is.

If that doesn't work I saw there are many freeware antivirus programs, which one you would recommend.

And as the most important question, i'm not sure what i need to do before installing new program(antivirus),
do I have to uninstall previous, or do I have to also erase it, what are the steps

( i apologize in advance for my mistakes in english)

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. As far as your key being blacklisted, it sounds like you violated their terms of service somehow. Was this key given to anyone else? Installed on more than one computer? You may need to give them a call to find out exactly why you were blacklisted, and they might be able to re-activate it for you as well, depending on their policy. As far as other free programs, run a forum search. There's been numerous topics asking for "the best free anti virus protection" and such.

Should you need to install new protection software, you must uninstall any other virus protection software from your computer. Having more than one protector on at the same time will cause conflicts.

Before we get you into the mindset that you need new software, I'm going to wait for a reply from you. I think the best thing to do is first call, and see why you were blacklisted --- there must be a reason. If nothing helps after that, then we'll start clearing the old and bringing in the new.

lana_anic

lana_anic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, I think I should install a new software

What is the procedure?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
First, you need to have a new product in line for installation... Are you thinking about going free, or paying for another defense application?

lana_anic

lana_anic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
just freeware

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Avast or AVG are popular

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

lana_anic

lana_anic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I read few reviews on Avast,AVG, Avira...
Avast was given best reviews so I chose it though I read it can't be combined with ZoneAlarm firewall.
Does it interferes with Spybot which I'm thinking of combining with Avast?

Edited by lana_anic, 12 March 2007 - 05:22 AM.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts

I read few reviews on Avast,AVG, Avira...
Avast was given best reviews so I chose it though I read it can't be combined with ZoneAlarm firewall.
Does it interferes with Spybot which I'm thinking of combining with Avast?

Avast can be combined with Zone Alarm with no problems, also with Spybot. If you need help for installing Avast let us know we will post instructions to you.

Regards,

Edited by SNOWHITE, 14 March 2007 - 07:02 AM.

lana_anic

lana_anic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes, i would like to know the procedure of combining avast and zonealarm so there would be no interferences.

thanks in advance

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have zone alarm firewall, and no other anti virus programme, download and install avast, it should not be a problem

You could set a system restore point first