Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File "Setup.ibt" won't delete

• Please log in to reply

Kio25

Kio25

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had a folder with all the Battlefield 2 (video game) installation files in it (Files on the installation CD(s.) I copied the files over from the cd to my computer to install the game because my cd-rom drive gets a little funky when i try to install things from it. So I put all the files in a folder on my desktop titled "BF2" The game was freezing up when i tried to loap a map so i decided to delete it. I uninstalled the game, deleted all the existing registry entries for the game and deleted the files in the BF2 folder (BF2 CD) but one file did not delete. The file is called "setup.ibt" I don't know why it won't delete it says "This file is being used by another person or program."
I tried the following:
-Deleted all registry entries for the file, still wouldn't delete.
-Rebooted in safe mode and attempted to delete.
-I tried the following programs that unlock and delete files (Gipo@move on boot, Killbox, and Unlocker.)
-Checked for any running processes named the same.
I'm running windows XP Pro SP2.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Reboot to safe mode, select the administrator account

Move the file to my documents and see if it will delete from there

Kio25

Kio25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no, it wouldnt allow me to move it to my documents. It said the same error message "Being used by another person or program"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Using safe mode / administratot account

In My Documents, click tools, folder options, view, put the dot in show hidden files and folders, click apply. Click start, my computer, double click the hard drive, click documents and settings, your account, application data

Are there any folders for the programmes there, can you move them, open them and move any content

Kio25

Kio25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have had show hidden files and folders on but these are the Folders/files in application data:

Visible Folders:
Adobe,
AdobeUM,
AIM,
Apple Computer,
ATI,
DivX,
Help,
Leadertech,
Microsoft,
Microsoft web folders,
Mozilla,
Ulead systems,
Sun,
AVG7,
Comodo,
GRETECH,
DWG Editor,
Macromedia,
Solidworks.

Hidden folder:
Move Networks

File (text):
AdobeDLM

Edited by Kio25, 10 March 2007 - 06:07 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, my computer, double click the hard drive, documents and settings, your account, local settings, application data, anything in there?

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply and reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility as it gets to the desktop

Try moving the folders to My Documents

Reverse msconfig / start up by clicking enable all, click apply and reboot

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Right click on the icon go to properties click on the general tab.
Does file size show as 0

Kio25

Kio25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Right click on the icon go to properties click on the general tab.
Does file size show as 0

No, it's 454KB.

I will try keith's method after I finish watching this movie on my computer (It's intense and im at the climax) Then I will update my situation following his procedure.

Kio25

Kio25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
um...wow?
I did what keith suggested, had to modify a little bit but somehow it worked?
What I did:
1. Boot in safe mode w/cmd prompt
2. Typed "cd c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\BF2"
3. "dir"
At this point it showed 2 dir's and 0 files..... :blink:
I just thought it might be a glitch so, I typed "del setup.ibt"
It said there was no such file... !?!
Soooo I didn't feel like rebooting and crying, so i then typed just "cd c:\documents and settings\user\desktop"
It showed all my desktop files, hmmm now what? "del BF2"
Are you sure? Y/N? .....f**k Y!
No error message came up.
4. close cmd prompt, Ctrl Alt Del/shutdown/reboot.
*At this point i couldn't stand the anticipation so i went to the bathroom to "continplate life", after i finished I opened my door slowly and peeked my head in carefully :help: and looked at my computer screen and saw a little "BF2" from the door at this point this is what was going through my head: :whistling:
Soo I opened the folder and guess what? Nothing was there, back up and tried to delete the folder...heh it worked :help:
It still might be buried somewhere in my computer and I'll probably end up coming back here in a few weeks asking for more help haha. But for now Thank you for your help, and maybe archive this thread? Incase this happens to another poor person, I felt like there was nothing that could be done since i tried nearly everything and trust me this is only 1 of 8 forums I posted my problem on. Thanks Keith.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know and including the other possibles