Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM on 3 computers

• Please log in to reply

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I am upgrading RAM on 3 computers, a dell Dimension 4700 and 2400 also an Emachine T3508

For the Dell Dimension 4700 crucial scan showed me that I have 2 dual DDR2 PC2-3200 256MB RAM so right now I only have 512. Can I get only 1 more 512 stick or do I have to get 2 x 512. THIS is the 512 i am thinking About.

For the Emachine it is not dual and I have a PC-3200 in it right now 512MB will THIS be good?

Lastly, for the Dell Dimension 2400 it only has 128MB :whistling: O.K. on the other computer I got information for it and was wondering if everything was all good and what would be the best things I could do to it to make it run faster. The Everest Report is attached.

The RAM part is

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Kingston K
Serial Number 871DBB17h
Manufacture Date Week 15 / 2009
Module Size 128 MB (1 rank, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC2700 (166 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

So which one of these be worth my while
I'll go with the 3200 b/c it's not dual and crucial says it can support it so which one is better?
NEWEGG RAM

If you find anything better let me know but remember the computer isn't that great.

Thank you,

Any comments suggestions and help is appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by MkLoe, 16 March 2007 - 02:00 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Keep in mind that if you upgrade your ram to a newer one it will run the speed of the old one. Also check to see if you have any empty slots left for upgrading, if so then you only need 1 512 mb and you can use it with your other 2 256 mb ones.

Edited by SOORENA, 11 March 2007 - 10:13 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
all of those ram sticks you listed will work in those pc's but make sure you have enough slots available on all of the pc's..

Yes you can mix 2 x 256mb sticks with a 1 x 512 mb stick as long as your motherboard has atleast 3 slots available total for memory..

What SOORENA said is true also when you get new memory it runs at the speed of what you already have in the pc.

Lets say you have pc 2700 for example in your pc and you get a stick of ram that runs at pc 3200 all of the sticks will run at pc 2700 speed.

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
ok so on the dell 4700 even though it is a dual motherboard I don't need to have 2, right? Thanks So I mines well just buy the same speed then. Not spend more money on faster stuff and it can't even run that fast.

Which One Is Better?

Edited by MkLoe, 13 March 2007 - 04:47 PM.

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I read the reviews of both of those sticks and in the Wintec one 1 of the reviews says" It doesn't work with Dell Dimension 4700" That is the computer I have. did they get a faulty stick or somthing or are they right?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I read the reviews of both of those sticks and in the Wintec one 1 of the reviews says" It doesn't work with Dell Dimension 4700" That is the computer I have. did they get a faulty stick or somthing or are they right?

Id go with the Kingston its a good reliable brand..

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
ok so 1 512MB stick of the kingston I linked above will probably be the one I'll go with. Thanks

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
O.K. on the other computer I got information for it and was wondering if everything was all good and what would be the best things I could do to it to make it run faster. The Everest Report is attached.

The RAM part is

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Kingston K
Serial Number 871DBB17h
Manufacture Date Week 15 / 2009
Module Size 128 MB (1 rank, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC2700 (166 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

So which one of these be worth my while
I'll go with the 3200 b/c it's not dual and crucial says it can support it so which one is better?
NEWEGG RAM

If you find anything better let me know but remember the computer isn't that great.