Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Download causing problems

• Please log in to reply

c8705

c8705

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,
I just recently downloaded an Internet Explorer 7 update. And now my computer is displaying several error messages when I try to access the internet. Also, my arrow is showing up as a black square. I can still use it, but I think this is a problem with my computer. I remember last time I had a problem with my computer, one of the directions geeks to go gave me was to go back and start my computer from selected time (like before I downloaded the update). Is there something like that I can do to fix my computer?
Thank you!
Christina

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
It sounds like you are referring to system restore. Try it.
Go to start/accessories/system tools/system restore.
Pick a date before you had the problem.
See if it helps.

Make sure you are using fiewall/anti spyware/ anti virus programs all the time.

c8705

c8705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Unfortunately, there is no system restore date before I installed the update. I can not uninstall IE7 because there is not option to under "add/remove programs" What should I do???
Thank you!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to uninstall internet explorer and reinstall it. Please note that you may need an xp installation disk for reinstalling. I believe that this will re-create IE 6. You will not loose your mail, nor will you loose your address book. To do so: Control panel > add/remove programs. On the side you will see add/remove windows components. Click the icon and when windows services show up uncheck internet explorer. Repeat the process and now check it. Internet explorer will load again.

As a matter of precaution I also suggest that you download and save Firefox before you do any of the above mentioned procedures. You can try to repair internet explorer or just remove it and install frirefox.