Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloaded Internet Explorer 7 update

• Please log in to reply

c8705

c8705

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello GeekstoGo!
I just downloaded an Internet Explorer 7 update and now I can not access the internet. Also, my mouse/arrow is a black box instead of an arrow. Last time I used GeekstoGo, I remember that I could go back and start my computer from a selected time (like before I downloaded Internet Explorer 7). Is there something like this I can do to fix my computer?
I really appreciate your help!
Christina

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go into the Control Panel to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall IE7, then reboot. If your computer still has problems, click start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> System Restore and select a date before the original IE7 install. Post back if that doesn't help.
Johanna

c8705

c8705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,
I can't uninstall the program because then I have no way of accessing the internet. And I tried to restore the system from before I installed Internet Explorer, but there is no system restore point that goes back before "Installed Windows XP K8915865"

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you installed IE7 you shouldn't need to be connected to the internet to uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Do you have admin rights on this computer? XP Home or Pro?
Johanna

c8705

c8705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can uninstall the program, but if I do, then I have no internet browser and I can not install/restore my old internet explorer. Actually, I went to Add/Remove Programs and Uninstalling IE7 is not an option. My only option is to remove the IE7 icon from my start menu and desktop from "Add/Remove Windows Components". This does not actually remove the program. Also, I'm trying to Add MSN Explorer as one of my web browsers, but I'm getting this message "the file 'auupdate.exe' on (Unknown) is needed". Thanks for your help by the way!

Edited by c8705, 11 March 2007 - 11:14 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you uninstall IE7 you should still have IE6 available to you. Do you have your original XP cd?
Johanna

c8705

c8705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, unfortunately I do not have the cd. I edited my last post, but I think you replied before I finished editing. I will repost: I went to Add/Remove Programs and Uninstalling IE7 is not an option. My only option is to remove the IE7 icon from my start menu and desktop from "Add/Remove Windows Components". This does not actually remove the program. Also, I'm trying to Add MSN Explorer as one of my web browsers, but I'm getting this message "the file 'auupdate.exe' on (Unknown) is needed". Thanks for your help by the way!

clare069

clare069

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
If you tick SHOW UPDATES in add/remove programs can you not just remove the ie7 update.