Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hi, dual boot window with linux

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, just asking if I am the only one using dual boot windows/linux, do you also find it great not to worry about malware anymore, one can surf and email on linux, but I still have my windows for game playing, Well if I am not alone do let me know which linux you are using, Me, I am using kubuntu but I am always interested in which distro other people are using,
Sin.,
flea

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is a few of us(i'm sure you already know most of us that do flea). Anyhoo ive never had one piece of malware on windows and it was at least partly intentional so i dont worry either way i use ubuntu for programming mostly my wireless doesnt play nice with it so i cant get the internet on linux most of the time so malware isnt much of a concern i use it for its free compilers and better text editors and the media apps are much better too.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi scot, true I haven't had malware but at same time I haven't need to those scans and things running in the background, but I guess what hooked me was when I added up the cost, I mean I have paid for each system since windows98 till windows XP, I used to pay for protection, I also paid for office, and I still pay for the broadband, now I only pay for broadband. Agreed drivers are the real problem with linux so I either change parts or swap the distro. Oh, and the command line thingy needs learning, so I am not thinking that it is for everyone, but for the Internet and open office I am really pleased with it. Oh, and linux is useless for games.