Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screwed up Internet connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DarkIntellect

DarkIntellect

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't have any time to feel out my profile or anything like that, sorry. I'm in need of computer help pronto. Hoping I won't need to reboot the whole thing. This noob is mildly retarded when it comes to computers. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure where this goes, so if a staff member needs to move this thread I apologize.

I was trying to tweak Emule and I screwed up my IP address/LAN thing.(As I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to computers). I can't get on the Net my usual way now. I'm on a different wireless network that has a very weak signal. These are the exact directions I followed from a friend of mine on another site who was trying to help me with Emule.

Port Forwarding: These are settings you need to change in your NAT router. If you don't have a NAT router then you don't need to worry about this. One way to quickly find out if you have a NAT router is to go to Start->Run and type

cmd

if you are on Windows 2000/XP/Vista or

winipcfg

if you have Windows 95/98*DarkIntellect (in which case I recommend upgrading). A command prompt will appear. From there type

ipconfig

It will show you your LAN IP address. If it starts with 192.168. then you definitely have a NAT router. Write this IP address down because you need it to enable port forwarding. To begin configuring your NAT router, goto http://192.168.0.1/ or in some cases http://192.168.1.1/ This is not an Internet site but your router's config screen. One form of port forwarding is called "enable DMZ" which means forward all connections attempts. You just have to enter the LAN IP of the computer you want to receive the connections. If you only want to forward connections to specific ports on specific protocols, use port forwarding. You should be able to configure either one of these options from your router's config screen.

This was where I messed up. I can no longer connect via linksys. For what it's worth, I'm on a laptop. If you need any more info just ask.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DarkIntellect,

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to P2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselves legal, most things acquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

I am now closing this topic, I hope you understand.

Fenor