Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lot of noise coming from tower

• Please log in to reply

Angelia

Angelia

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Just purchased a emachines t5082 on 3-1-07.

Everything fine till this morning when turn computer on lots of noise coming from tower.

Seems like it's happening when I open up programs or navigating to sites.

To be honest sounds like the 98SE just upgraded from.

Contacted technical support at emachines and this is what they said.

Okay, The computer should be okay from now Angelia. This is common with computers with large hard drives, but I would advise you to back up your data regularly and contact us immediately once you experience freezing problems so we can change out your hard drive.

It's a new computer.Why should I have to wait till hard drive goes out.

Is this what happens when hard drive goes out?

Is there any other signs I should look for besides computer freezing up?

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry for the loss of your money. Not trying to be mean but the only thing i like about E-machine Computers is some of their cases and a few hardware parts. Most of parts in them are junk straight from the factory. Their support is abysmal. The last one i worked on i saved the Case, HD, and a stick of memory. The power supply fried everything else.

You need to take the side cover off the computer and listen closely to where the sound is coming from. If it is a sorta-telegraph tapping sound coming from the hard drive this is usual but should not be real loud. Very loud and you probably do have a problem with the hard drive.

Usually a whine, or a growling sound is caused by the fans.

Check to see if it is the power supply( listen from the open side panel and from the back of the computer)that may be going bad. These computers are known for bad power supplies.

Listen to see if its the cdrom drive making a whirring noise. They usually don't run when they are empty when you start up a computer but will run if you leave a cd in the drive all the time.

One of the tools i have in my computer repair toolbox is a plastic kids stethoscope( the kind that do work). It works very well to find where noises are coming from. Just watch out for the fans hitting your fingers. It took the skin off a knuckle on me once. I ended up ducktaping a large pencil to the end of the stethoscope to keep my hand out of the computer.

SRX660

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
It's definitely not the fan the fan running smoothly.

When I'm not going between windows a light clicking sound.

When navigating between windows sound gets louder.

Can't really tell where sound is coming from. Just know it's coming from inside.

Sorry for the loss of your money. Not trying to be mean but the only thing i like about E-machine Computers is some of their cases and a few hardware parts. Most of parts in them are junk straight from the factory.

Really hate to hear that. Saved up to buy this computer. Also it's the first new computer I've ever bought.

Their support is abysmal.

Realized that when I talked to there support team this morning.

Thanks for your help though.

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
Gosh SRX660, eMachines aren't that bad, well, for the money, anyways...

Hey Angelia :blink:

I purchase one for my son a few months back. He wanted a custom bulit one, but the motherboard he wanted was 750.00.. :whistling:

This is common with computers with large hard drives, but I would advise you to back up your data regularly and contact us immediately once you experience freezing problems so we can change out your hard drive.

They always say that! My son's computer had a bad memory stick it's was a samsung PC3200 512MB. Tell them you want to take it to CompUSA in greenville. CompUSA and Best Buy has a service contract with them. And yes, you have a one year warranty that comes with eMachines that will allow you to take it to them with no problems. It might take a few phone calls to eMachine, but you worked hard for this! Don't let them play the game of, they will send you a new hard drive with a 75.00 deposit for you to install! Just tell them, "No thanks! I'll take to one of your service centers."

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Thanks for letting me know that Kenny94. Makes me feel alot better. I'll contact them right now.