Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Found New Hardware CD/DVD Drive" URGENT!

• Please log in to reply

ojos del angel

ojos del angel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Yesterday during start up a bubble came up stating “Found New Hardware CD/DVD Drive”. Now , I haven’t installed any new hardware on this computer since I bought it a year and a half ago. It crashes just after start up is complete and will not start up in Safe Mode. I took it to future shop and typically they just say that it’s a virus and that they need to wipe my hard-drive. I’ve been doing some of my own reading however and am wondering if this is true now!!

Anyone have any ideas?? I’m trying to get a hold of them before this guy touches my computer so if this is something I can fix myself (although since it crashes after start up, I’m not sure how unless it’s through the setup or boot menu!).

Please help!!!

Nat

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Wiping the hard drive is the lazy guys way of fixing malware problems. Before anything else I would make sure the cables to the CD drive are well seated by pushing them in. If that doesn't work unplug both cables to it and see how the machine works. The drive itself may be defective. If the problem still exists and it is malware related then I would suggest going to the malware forum and following their drills.

ojos del angel

ojos del angel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
a friend of mine told me that if you pull out the CD drive/ hard drive then the warranty with future shop is void? is this true? if not then one of the IT guys at my work is going to try your suggestion!

I atleast was able to take it back from them before they did anything!

Btw, now i really feel stupid, but what is Malware?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Malware is short for Malicious Software.

Edited by Titan8990, 13 March 2007 - 07:19 AM.

ojos del angel

ojos del angel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
okay, now I really do feel stupid :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Don't feel stupid we all didn't know what it meant at some point. Read This first. Then post a log in Malware Removal forum :whistling:.