Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with internet connection: speed slows down to dial-up when run

• Please log in to reply

tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Dear members,

I don't know what seems to be wrong with my toshiba laptop 1400-s151 (hardrive 2 years old but still works fine) with window xp home edition. I have verizon fios with 1 MB download speed and 5 MB browsing speed. What happens is, when the power adapter is connected with the laptop to supply power from the power cord and not from the batteries the internet speed works perfectly fine. However, when i disconnected the power adapter from the laptop when the batteries are recharged to 100% , a messages appears on bottom right (where are the icons are ex: time, norton virus icon etc) that a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged. After that I get disconnected for 3-5 seconds but then it reconnects itself back as if i just connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. However, thats besides the real problem which is the speed becomes noticably slow (like dial-up with download speed less the 80 kbs from the usual 700-900 kbs) and it stays slow until I plug back the power adapter when the battery power is runing low. (its as if i go back to dial-up when running on batteries and back to fios running on power adapters...weird!) And when i do plug back the power adapter it gives me yet again the same message (a local area connection or a network cable is unplugged ) for 3-5 seconds then reconnects itself as if i again just now connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. And since the laptop is now running on power adapter and not the batteries the speed comes back to normal (from pervious dial-up speed to FIOS verizon speed). It has been doing this for over an year and i dont know why and what causing this (ran norton virus and other spyware tools but nothing changes). Therefore, can someone please tell me what is causing this and how I can fix the problem? Anything will help! I will be waiting for your useful suggestions and remarks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I suspect that your battery is in a marginal condition. The fact that it is charged to 100% doesn't necessarilly mean that it will work well under load (computer turned on, applications running, fan and disk spinning etc). In other words it is possible that voltage drops down to a marginal level when the battery is not connected to the charger. When the charger is connected, the battery is not important anymore.

If you could borrow a similar battery, install and charge it for test purposes that would be great. After fully charged disconnect the charger and see if the problem disappears. If yes then the problem is with the battery. If not, then it's somewhere else.

tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
maybe it is my batteries since when the laptop is running on batteries it only has power to stay on for only 15-20 minutes (when it was suppose to for at least 2 hrs) and then i have to plug back the power adapter or it will shut down. the reaso that is i did many times over charged the batteries and it is quite old (4 years). but maybe it is not the batteries so thats why i will give u my computer specs so you or anyone can help me out more easily:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Processor: Intel® Celeron™ CPU 1200MHz
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Physical RAM: 239MB
Virtual Memory: 2047MB

Video Information
Video Card: Trident Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade XP Ai1 v5.9030-008V.22ICD
Video Memory: 16.0 MB
Chip Type: Trident CyberBlade XP Ai1
Driver Filename: tridxp.dll
Driver Version: 5.00.2195.0143 | 4/24/2002 02:00:32
Disp Settings: Default Monitor | 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Audio Information
Audio Device: ALi Audio Wave
Driver Name: ac97ali.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.6003 | 8/4/2004 01:32:22
Default Sound Playback: true
Default Voice Playback: true

also, if i have a spare battery i would i have done what you have said but sorry i can't. for that reason, can you also tell me what battery i should iget and will my laptop will take any battery or just the manufactures? please let me know!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What you write at your post definitely indicates to a dying battery. A replacement must be similar to the one you already have in shape, size capcity etc. You have to choose according to your laptop model. There are many sellers on the internet, including e-bay.

tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
by "dying battery" do u mean not yet a dead battery but soon enough it will?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes. Even now it is of very limited capacity and shuld be replaced if you want to enjoy the mobility of a lap top. Otherwise the computer is tied to the charger.

tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
any other suggestions?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Given the problems associated with laptop batteries I suggest that you purchase the make and model battery recommended by your computer's manufacturer even if it is more expensive than an off-brand.