Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot problem

• Please log in to reply

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have been having trouble accessing my hard drive. I tried many things, recovery programs, etc. no luck. I tried booting with a symantec ghost boot disk (fat) ( which had saved me in the past ) The program ran, and I tried to add a partition image. Now on boot attempt, the screen reads non system disk erro, replace and strike any key when ready.

I tried xp boot disks, dos boot disk for ntfs reader, xp quick, exp quick.exes

I have also tried PR.EXE for active partion recovery.
now when a boot starts, a screen flashes by with info about exiting the PR.exe program.

The recovery disk for the OS appears to work, and I can boot from it, but it doesn't allow me to recover. It may let me install, haven't ried thaqt, as I want to save my data.

I have tried switching hard drives, but the problems persist.

any suggestions?

I am running:
Compag 5423
1.6 processor
40 gig HD
1024 Ram
XP Pro OS

Thanks for any help!
Ralphbob5

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Ralphbob5

I have tried switching hard drives, but the problems persist.

IF I understand you you are putting another drive in as C drive and the same problem happens?
What system have you got on the other drive is it XP?
Did you make this drive master with slave and the corrupt drive Slave?
Cheers
Peterm

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I had tried using a completely different hard drive alone, as a master and as a slave. I tried so many things, I lost track. ( Finally, I went to setup, reinstalled all of the default settings,, rebooted, and so far everything seems to working ok. ( I had also run Dr Solomons Magic bullet virus scan just prior to trying that. ) in any case. It is working fine now. Thanks for your help. Ralphbob5