Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random computer shut-down

• Please log in to reply

woodswomyn

woodswomyn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
System specs: Intel Pentium D Processor 930 3.0 GHz Dual Core, 1GB Pc4200 533MHz DDR2 Mem., Asus P5ND2-SLI nForce Motherboard, 500 GB RAID O Stripe (2x250GB SATA 7.2K), Secondary drive 250GB SATA 7.2K, BFG GeForce 7800GTX OC 256MB PCI-Express Video, Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card, Ultra X2-Connect 550 watt power supply.

I run Norton Internet Security 2007 as well as Norton System works basic.

I had some problems about a month ago and did a clean re-install of XP w/service pack2. When I installed the Norton and tried to do the first scan my PC shut down about half way through. I tried a couple of more times, including in safe mode, and had the same result. I contacted Norton tech support and after several hours and many tweaks they decided I had no malware and got it to do a scan, though not as complete a scan as it does normally. well, after a month I have a pared down scan and still shut down at random points. It does seem to be when the processor is under load, such as when I tried to run the AVG scan.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had so many problems running norton software that i gave up a few years ago and now do not run any of their software except Ghost. I had many problems with System Works and ended up reformatting 3 computers because of it. I now run Avast AV, and ZoneAlarm, along with a hardware router to protect my computers and leave all the rest of the junk software off my computers.

I would bet anybody that nortons is the cause of most of your problems.

SRX660

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
While I agree with srx660 about Norton ( I had it, had trouble big-time, dumped it) I also wonder about cooling on that system. Do you use Speed Fan or Motherboard Monitor or anything to let you know interior temps? If your temps are good, you might try removing Norton and using AVG free for a while to see if it makes a difference.

woodswomyn

woodswomyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the help! I went in and got the Norton removal tool and dumped the whole mess. Both your comments just fed my own inclinations. Too many problems for the last year to keep it! I got Kaspersky 6.0 instead, so we'll see how it goes.
Also, I found Speedfan and installed it. WOW! No wonder it shuts down. I'm running 55 at idle. So I've done some looking and it seem like the Zelman 9700 Led heat sink might do the trick. Any thoughts?

And Thanks again...