Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How long should a 10G NTFS partition take?

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I've built my first computer, and started to install XP. I chose to create a partition to house the OS. I made it a 10G partion, but instead of hitting the option with "(quick)" after it, I hit the NFTS option without quick. That was 8 hours ago....
I'm making a 10G partition on a 250G HDD, and am currently at 35% after 8 hours. Should I expect this partition to take 24 hrs. to make?

Will I have to use this method for any other partitions I make?

Thanks,
JB

Build Components:
E6600
Gigabyte 965p-s3 rev 1 (f6 bios)
2x1GB OCZ DDR2 800 Platinum rev 2
Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0 HDD w. 16 MB buffer
Pioneer dvr-110 DVD/CD burner
ATI x1950 Pro w. HR-03 Thermalright cooler
3x120mm Scythe fans
Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W PSU
CoolerMaster Media281 chassis

Edited by JimB, 12 March 2007 - 09:08 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In a word NO. I see you have a sata drive so what I said before here doesn't apply. But it should only take about an hour to format the while drive. I did it not long ago on another drive of that size.

Edited by Tyger, 12 March 2007 - 09:42 PM.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
So what do I do now?
Am I completely stuffed? It seems that I have no choice than to leave the machine running until it finishes making the partition, and then go on from there. Am I on the right track to sit and wait this out (we're at 38% now- we're making incremental progress on the partition...I should be partioned by 4 p.m. EST Tuesday :whistling: ), or is there a safe way to interupt the process and start again?

Thanks

Edited by JimB, 12 March 2007 - 10:36 PM.