Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power

• Please log in to reply

ozeepat

ozeepat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Power up problem

I have two HP computers that are exactly the same. The one suddenly would not power up until several tries. Now it won't power up at all. If I pull the power cord and re-insert it, the fan starts and it looks like it is going to start, but after five or ten seconds it shuts down. The other computer started to do the same thing but I finally got it booted. Now I never shut it down. I let it go into hibernation and have not had a problem since. The first one still has the problem.I tried a new power supply but it did not solve the problem.Some solutions I have read talk about doing things in the CMOS but I can't get that far. Also been on live chat with HP. Sorry to say, no help. I have been to several forums and so far nothing has helped. I have been trying all the fixes that came from those sites and so far nothing has worked. Today,I noticed some corrosion around the on/off switch so I thought maybe the might be stuck. I removed the connector from the board, put it back in, inserted the power plug and it booted right to windows. Foolishly I turned the computer off to see if I could re-start it but could not duplicate it. I suspect something with the switch because the other computer is always on but in hibernate and is still working.Right now I am back to square one. Could this have something to do with the start button? If so,what is the resolution?
Thanking anyone in advance for any help I get, I am,
Pat

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the power button unplugged from the header on the motherboard and the pc plugged in...try bridging the connection where the power button was (just short the two pins with a screwdriver or something metal)...does the pc start?