Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution Issues...

• Please log in to reply

Jerrod1117

Jerrod1117

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay...When my computer was purchased it had WindowsXP installed on it, but it came from a Rent-A-Center, so I had no OS disk. Anyway, over time I accumulated viruses and other issues.

Like a dummy, I used my friends OS disk to reinstall without thinking about registration issues....so I had a copy of windows I couldnt register so I had to reinstall every 30 days. Therefore I had to reinstall my "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" along with my Ethernet controller and then update the drivers and all that good stuff.

Well today I received my new copy of Windows Vista (that I purchased myself and is 100% legal) and installed it. It allowed to upgrade straight from WinXP SP2 so that I wouldnt have to wipe my hard drive and all that hassle.

Anyway, my point is nothing had been uninstalled, nothing needed reinstalled.
My computer tells me my drivers are up to date on my video devices, but the problem is that it wont let me change my resolution to anything above 640x480 which is causing problems since I should be using 1024x768.

Theres not much else to say.....can anyone help me?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jerrod1117...

First look on the manufacturer's website and see if there are any newer Vista drivers available for your machine's video adapter. Make sure you uninstall the old drivers before you install the new ones.

What is the make and model number of the machine?

wannabe1