Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD not seen

• Please log in to reply

stuart pearce

stuart pearce

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I'm new to this forum and pretty rubbish at computers - here goes!

I wanted to upgrade my 40gb hdd for one of 120gb, so I bought one from ebay (refurbished). I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and I hooked the new drive up to the IDE ribbon that also feeds the cd drive. The disk management system saw the drive and I formatted it. I intended to use Norton Ghost 10 to clone my new drive (which was installed as slave) and set it to work. It went through the motions OK but I couldn't get the machine to boot from the new disk. Anyhow, to cut a long story short I was going to re-format and try again but now, after turning the machine off for the night, the system can't see the new drive (at least disk management can't).

When I go into setup, the Bios sees my Primary Master 40gb drive but the information provided for the Primary Slave (which is the next hdd down the list) says type 'Unknown' and Capacity n/a. I can toggle the space bar to produce 'Auto' instead of 'Unknown' but that doesn't make any difference, it still doesn't appear anywhere on disk management.

Does this mean the new hdd has expired or is there something I can do to force the machine to see the drive?

Stuart

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Make sure that the jumper on the new HDD is set to master. I don't have any experience "cloning" a HDD. I will tell you that I have bought bad computer parts off ebay before and you are going to want to get that drive running any way possible to run a diagnostic on it before it is too late to get your money back for it (if there is a problem).

stuart pearce

stuart pearce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, actually, it's set to slave. I wouldn't be able to see it if it was a master because windows wouldn't be running - that's right isn't it?