Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista freezes after a few minutes of running

• Please log in to reply

Maki

Maki

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi there,

I have just installed Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium on my computer. I put Vista on C:\ Drive, and put my files on D:\ Drive. Its fine. All the programs work and everything is ok. However when I start Vista, it runs for a few minutes..and freezes (Just shuts of..can't move mouse, Ctrl + Alt + Del won't work..say If I hit caps lock it wont respond..nothing works.) . Right now I'm on the Safe mode with networking.

Specs:

Intel Pentium D CPU 3.40GHz
2G DDR2 RAM
Radeon X1600 Series
2 Hard Drives - 120G and 150G

Please help me Geekstogo!

Edited by Maki, 16 March 2007 - 04:38 AM.

Advertisements

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Did you check for any event in event viewer or in the problem reports and solutions log. Were you getting any errors up until the point this started happening check the ram with the Memory Diagnostics Tool is a good place to start. Were you doing anything in perticular when it freezes up.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Did you by any chance do an XP upgrade, or a clean Vista install?

Maki

Maki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Did you check for any event in event viewer or in the problem reports and solutions log. Were you getting any errors up until the point this started happening check the ram with the Memory Diagnostics Tool is a good place to start. Were you doing anything in perticular when it freezes up.

Nothing in the problem reports and soloutions log..can you tel me moer about this Memory Diagnostics Tool and how to get it/run it? Nothing in perticular no. Sometimes it freezes quick..sometimes it takes 10 minutes..totally random.

Did you by any chance do an XP upgrade, or a clean Vista install?

I tried the upgrade..kept freezing during installation. So I put all my files on D:\ Drive, and put Vista on C:\ drive and did a clean Vista install.

Edited by Maki, 18 March 2007 - 04:16 AM.

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I had some random freezes before too - the first batch i had was because of a faulty harddrive with bad sectors and what have you.
Since your upgrade freezed...there might have been a HD problem before your fresh install anyway.

Ever thought about buying a new harddrive (cheap nowadays) and trying it?

Otherwise it can be because of a driver issue - i JUST had another batch of freezes/restarts and it was because of a driver incompatibility.

It's probably more useful to deal with HD and drivers first before doing anything more laborious. My opinion anyway

BluePoet

BluePoet

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I once had a similar problem while running a similar file layout under XP. Turned out that the problem was that drive D: had become faulty, and though Windows ran fine on C:, every now and then, performing actions on certain segments of D: would cause the system to lock, sometimes only for seconds, sometimes until I had to hit the reset button. Removing the drive solved the problem, and left me only with the problem of data recovery, which was eventually overcome. Since Windows is only installed on C:, try booting without D: connected, and see if the problem is still present. If so, at least you have a basis to look to start to solve the problem.