Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-Rom not working, Hardware problem, or OS?

• Please log in to reply

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: I have a strange problem. my pc pooped out on me and I had to restore it. I originally had windows 98 and had upgraded to windows ME (before I had to restore) When I did the restore I did it with just the Windows ME and it is not recognizing my CD-rom. In the device manager it only lists CD-Rom controller, not the CD-Rom itself (my other PC lists first the CD-Rom, then the CD-Rom Controllers). I cannot uninstall Windows ME and start over because it does not show up in the "Add/Remove" box. I have checked the connections inside the hard drive (the grey cable and the multi coloured one), I disconnected them and reconnected them to make sure they were not loose. My CD-Rom Controller (Mitsumi CD-Rom with Double Speed Drive) has a little yellow ! next to it and when I check the properties it says that the device is either not present, not working properly or all the drivers have not been installed (CODE 10). I have attempted to upgrade the driver but have been unsuccessful. I'm not sure what else to do (my other pc also has that little yellow ! next to the CD-Rom Controller (The same Mitsumi Double Speed) but my CD-Rom still works on that one) I am at a complete loss!

Edited by CrankyCheryl, 16 March 2007 - 10:21 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might try these drivers.

http://www.mitsumi.c...ers.html#CD-ROM

There are diagnostic programs there if you scroll up the page.

SRX660

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
That was the first place I went to download a driver, I don't think I did it right. After downloading the driver I didn't know what to do with it. I put it on a floppy so I could put it on the other hard drive. When I opened it and clicked on the set up icon to install it it told me I had to find the right path which ended up being in c:/windows/command. When I tried to go back and update the driver, I tried to pick the location of the new driver, but when I clicked on "command" in c:/windows/command to find the new driver it wouldn't let me, the only place it would allow me to check for a new driver was c:/windows/system. I noticed the diagnostics programs when I got the driver from Mitsumi's website, but I was worried I would have to use them in DOS mode and that scares the crap out of me. I'm not bad with troubleshooting, I usually get lucky and find the solution I'm looking for, but I don't know squat about using my computer in DOS mode. I will go and download the diagnostics program and see if I have any luck......here I go!

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you could make a new folder in c:\windows\system like "new" and place the floppy contents in it

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You already have a WINDOWS/ System folder in your "C" drive. This is the folder that holds most of your drivers. If your cdrom drive still does not work after putting the drivers in the system folder you can go into device manager and update the drivers. Choose to manually update the drivers and pick them out in the system folder. You will be looking for the inf file that comes with the drivers. I do hope you looked at your cdrom drive for the model number and chose the driver for that model from the list. Since this was a exe file you should have only had to double click on the exe file to install the drivers in the proper place. If it asks you where to install pick the "WINDOWS/System" folder. I usually download all files to a folder i make in "C" drive that i call "Downloads"( novel idea, EH!). That way i always know where i downloaded stuff to.

Then check device manager for the yellow exclaimation mark. If it's gone then try the cdrom to see if its working.

One thing that Win ME does not have is DOS. You can get the real DOS patch here if you need it.

http://www.geocities.../mfd4life_2000/

Personally, i like DOS. It has a simple interface and all you have to know, most of the times, is simple commands. In reality even XP has a sorta DOS. It's called the "command prompt" and you will probably be using it when you have real problems with the computer.

SRX660

CrankyCheryl

CrankyCheryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I downloaded the diagnostics program from Mitsumi (I want to try it on the pc I'm using now too, since it also has a yellow ! next to it, and this one is Win98, so I can use MS-Dos mode), but like I mentioned, I'm afraid of dos mode! I know how to start it in dos mode, but I didn't know how to get back to WINDOWS. I found out it is Ctrl/Alt/Delete (I asked someone in the Live Chat). I read the installation instructions for the program, but they are not detailed enough for an MS-Dos beginner. The first instuction they give is: After axtracting the file, type [fxcheck.exe] at your extracted directory. ????? If I have to go into dos mode before I can do this, then how do I extract the file? And how do I type it "at" my extracted directory? I apologize if I sound like a moron, but for someone who's never used dos mode, their instructions are very vague. The rest is fairly self explanatory, press F1 to start, follow the prompts, Voila! Sorry, thank you.